Deselect Automatically tag items - not working

In the Preferences/General I have uncheck the box next to automatically tag items with keywords and subject heading. This used to work. But recently when exporting items from Ebsco databases, tags are automatically added from the database. When I enter items by doi or PMID numbers tags are not added. How do I prevent the automatic addition of tags from databases.
  • How exactly are you importing from the Ebsco database?
  • Specifically, keywords are not treated as "automatic" when they're contained in RIS files you import manually, so if that's what you're getting from EBSCO, that'd be expected. Using the regular import icon, though, you shouldn't get tags.
  • I was having the same issue. When importing bibtex files (created from my individual folders from mendeley), it seems that mendeley had attached a large number of keywords which became tags in zotero.(even if I deselected the automatic tags option)

I decided to make a clean wipe of the tags. I tried to figure out the execute js method, but was unable to figure it out.
    My solution was to edit the bibtex files using a handy free program: JabRef
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jabref/?source=typ_redirect

The program allows you to edit the bibtex file in a friendly user interface. To edit the keywords (aka delete them) there is an option under the edit menu.

This was a lifesaver for me. Hope it can help someone else.