Report ID 2138979042 - "Create from web page" problem - Firefox

Both the address bar and the "create item from webpage" Zotero plugin icons are missing.

See Report ID 2138979042
  • edited July 2, 2015
    Thanks! I did find and include the address bar icon, which works well.

I do prefer the icon found on the Zotero tool icon bar (I have to be down in the library Collection area anyway, to set the proper Collection before saving, so it's very handy to have it near there rather than back up at the top of the screen).

Any idea what happened with that icon? I noticed this line in the Error Report:

[JavaScript Error: "The Components object is deprecated. It will soon be removed." {file: "http://s.tagsrvcs.com/2/4.9.6/loaded.js" line: 4}]

Does this refer to the disappearance of the icon bar tool for "Save to Zotero as Web Page"?
  • Any idea what happened with that icon?
    Since its functionality was moved into the new single-purpose toolbar icon, it doesn't exist anymore.
  • edited July 2, 2015
    I don't quite follow your logic, though — on many sites, you already should have been using the address bar icon, which was already up at the top. The "Create Web Page Item from Current Page" button was just for pages that couldn't be recognized. So the only time you didn't have to use the icon at the top was when a page wasn't recognized, but the goal was always for it to show up as much as possible.

You could argue that it'd be nice to be able to save all pages (including those with translators) from the Zotero toolbar, but that wasn't the case before.

(For what it's worth, you can now use a shortcut key on all pages, which would avoid needing to use the button at the top at all.)
  • My address bar and Firefox toolbar is already overcrowded with items I use more frequently than Zotero. To save room, I eliminated the Zotero combo icon, and went to the icon that just opens the Zotero window. To then add the item, I now have to go back and open the Firefox hamburger menu to find the Save to Zotero button.

How about letting the user choose whether the Save button shows up in the Zotero window with a Preference option? There is lots of room on the Zotero toolbar, and if users find it confusing that the standalone toolbar is different they can disable the button.
  • edited July 8, 2015
    Let's not split threads. You can respond to my response to you here:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/50403/create-new-item-from-current-page-button-gone/#Item_8

Closing this thread.
This discussion has been closed.