What does this warning message mean?

"Clicking 'yes' will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations...Clicking "no" will erase changes."

I find that when I try to take out an old citation and put in a replacement, I sometimes get that message...and only if I click "yes" can I replace it. I have no idea what damage I'm doing....

Also, what causes the annoying string of code and text to appear randomly in the text sometimes?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • The first message is referring to modifications manually typed into citations or the bibliography (for example, if you typed a prefix like "see also" or manually added a page number). These manual modifications prevent Zotero from automatically updating and will be erased if you modify the citation with Zotero. To prevent this, use the built-in prefix/suffix/page number function--edit the citation with Zotero, click on the bubble for the reference in the citation window, and fill in the desired fields.

The string of code is the back-end of the citation engine for Zotero. You shouldn't normally see it. If you do, type Alt+F9 to hide the fields. The code usually appears as a result of using Track Changes when editing citations. In that case, the code will disappear when you accept the changes or when you switch to the "Simple Markup" or "No Markup" views.