Bug in citation key: mismatch with .bib collection export

Sorry if this is not the right place to report bugs, but I couldn't find any other link or email address.

Configuration: Standalone Zotero version 4.0.26.3 (Mac OS X 10.10.3)

Summary: Bibtex citation keys in exported .bib file do not match citation keys shown in "Info" window for each item, and also do not match LaTex "\cite" key used to drag/drop citation into my document.

The specific cases all involve how special characters or title words are handled, or ordering of authors/editors.

Examples:

Boisot, M., MacMillan, I., Han, K. S., Tan, C., & Eun, S. H. (2003). Sim-I-Space: An agent-based modelling approach to knowledge management processes (Technical Report) (p. 47). Philadephia, PA: The Sol Snider Entrepreneurial Research Center, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved from http://wep.wharton.upenn.edu/Research/SimISpace20031021.pdf

Citation key displayed in "Info": boisot_simispace_2003

Citation key in bibtex file: boisot_sim-i-space:_2003
[note colon and hyphons]

---

Castellacci, F., Fevolden, A., & Blom, M. (2014). R&D Policy Support and Industry Concentration: A SKIN Model Analysis of the European Defence Industry. In N. Gilbert, P. Ahrweiler, & A. Pyka (Eds.), Simulating Knowledge Dynamics in Innovation Networks (pp. 131–154). Springer Berlin Heidelberg. Retrieved from http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-662-43508-3_6

Citation key displayed in "Info": castellacci_rd_2014

Citation key in bibtex file: castellacci_r&d_2014
[note ampersand]

---

Fontana, W. (2005). The topology of the possible. In A. Wimmer & R. Kössler (Eds.), Understanding Change: Models, Methodologies and Metaphors. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.

Citation key displayed in "Info": fontana_topology_2005

Citation key in bibtex file: wimmer_topology_2005
[In Zotero, Fontana as author was listed third after the two editors. When Fontana was moved up to first, then the error was fixed and .bib citation key matched "Info" key.]

---

Kauffman, S., & Levin, S. (1987). Towards a general theory of adaptive walks on rugged landscapes. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 128(1), 11–45. http://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5193(87)80029-2

Citation key displayed in "Info": kauffman_general_1987

Citation key in bibtex file: kauffman_towards_1987
[note "towards" instead of "general"]
  • Generally the right place for bugs, but I'm a bit confused -- there is no citekey that would get displayed in the Info pane by Zotero on its own. Is this using an add-on like better bibtex?

If so, you'll want to report that directly to the add-on's developer. It sounds like you may be generating bibtex with Zotero's built-in translator, but relying on better bibtex's mechanism for citekeys, which would of course mean the two aren't aligned.
  • You are right! I forgot to say that I'm using the add-on "Better Bibtex" and the differences in algorithms is the root cause of this problem. I'm "exporting collection..." as "BibTeX" rather than "Better BibTeX", which would be invoking Zotero's internal translator (citation key generator).

When I switched to "exporting collection..." as "Better BibTeX", the mismatches are fixed.

<"Never mind...">

Russ