[MLZ] Overwriting notes

I am having a problem with MLZ overwriting notes, pretty much the same way as reported on this other thread:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28844/2/notes-data-disappearingoverwriting/

This is what actually happened to me today:

I selected a standalone note [1] from a list of standalone notes and then scrolled with the down arrow to the next one [2]. But I then don't see the new standalone note [2] but instead it shows me the note [1] again, and it looks like [2] has been overwritten by MLZ with [1]. Just as others reported before on that old thread.

Before when I saw this happening, I wasn't sure if this was something that actually happened or just something showing on the interface, but I just verified that I now have two instances of a standalone note I only had one instance before. I did also check database integrity, no problems.

So I see that this is reported as a fixed problem in official Zotero. Is the same true for MLZ?

It is hard to say, if this behaviour starts randomly. I haven't seen it in a while - I actually remember reading this thread before and thinking "oh it's fixed". Though I haven't been using standalone notes for a while, I was just actually deleting some (very) old notes today. None of which had embedded images or text copied, all were typed inside the application.

I also managed to reproduce this after restarting MLZ, and got the debug logging on. Could/should I send the debug output log per email? The log shows the content of my note, which I don't want to post to this forum.
  • By the way, it looks like the tags aren't copied, but only the text inside the note.
  • I will check that the code in MLZ is aligned with the fix introduced in Zotero 4.0.9, and post back.
  • I can confirm that the fix applied in Zotero is reflected in MLZ.

I received the log file, which shows a run with Firefox 38.0.1 under Windows 7. The trace shows MLZ reading a note immediately after startup, then updating the note text to the same itemID. If that was an overwrite of one note with the content of another, it is not obvious on the face of it how that is happening - the itemID itself would need to be mistaken at the point of the update.

I have not been able to reproduce the fault here under Linux with Firefox 38.0.1. I'll try to find a Windows 7 machine at work, and try there.

I'm not sure if it might be related, but are Relations set on one or the other of the notes affected by an overwrite?
  • Sorry it took sometime to answer.

"I'm not sure if it might be related, but are Relations set on one or the other of the notes affected by an overwrite? "

I don't think they were related to each other. I looked at another pair of notes that were affected; neither had absolutely no relations set.
  • I haven't been able to try on a Windows 7 machine yet, but under Windows 8 I was unable to reproduce it. I am also unable to reproduce it under Linux.

If you are experiencing this regularly, it would be good to pin down the exact cause; but until I can reproduce the error, it's hard to do much about it.
  • (Also, the entire database layer of Zotero is being rewritten as we speak, so it probably makes sense to wait until those changes are incorporated into the multilingual variant, to see if the problem goes away with the rewrite.)
  • Hi!

I can reproduce this now, but cannot pin it down exactly yet. What is clear is that these are the steps that trigger this behaviour:

1. select a (standalone) note
    2. scroll down using the arrow keys
    3. scroll back up using the arrow keys

But it does not happen with every instance of 2+3. I have few more excerpts of debug log files I'll send, though I don't know if they provide any new information.

As I scrolled the list of standalone notes, they were organized alphabetically, and as I lost the data from the previous note, I really can't say if these items had something in common, except being alphabetically adjacent.

Well, just now I tried to reproduce this again, and now I was able to generate a report from the standalone note that got overwritten, so I am sending also the report. I first saw that note was changed in the middle pane of MLZ, but not yet on the right hand pane, and because of this I was able to get a report out of the note.

Really it does seem to happen a bit randomly, as I did already scroll through those items once without anything happening and the overwriting happening only on the second (or third or fourth) go.

(Fair enough, I can wait, as I am not using the standalone notes that much at the moment.)
  • Those are all useful details. I'll keep trying to replicate the problem, when I get a chance.
  • I have encountered similar behavior with MLZ in the past year or so a couple (or perhaps a few) times. I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I just restarted Firefox, as I recall, to clean things up. Sorry I cannot remember any more detail. m