Google Scholar Problem

Hello everybody,

I'm having a problem with google scholar when used through my school's proxy. When I look up items on that version of google scholar, the Zotero plugin for Chrome doesn't have any icons in the address bar. This works fine when I'm on the normal version of google scholar, just not when I'm searching through the proxy.

This might be hard to replicate unless somebody else happens to be at the CUNY Graduate Center, but it might also happens with other university proxies of google scholar. Anybody else had this problem?

Relatedly, I've tried to work around this issue by clicking the "endnote" option under "cite" in GS. From what I'd read online, Zotero could be set to intercept endnote citation files. Unfortunately all I get is the option to save the .enw file. I've found sources online that say that I'm supposed to check the "use zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer Files" in preferences. But my version of Zotero doesn't have that option. Any help?
  • What's the URL (exactly as you see it) of a google scholar page when accessed through your proxy?
    From what I'd read online, Zotero could be set to intercept endnote citation files. Unfortunately all I get is the option to save the .enw file. I've found sources online that say that I'm supposed to check the "use zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer Files" in preferences. But my version of Zotero doesn't have that option.
    That option is only available for Zotero in Firefox. You can import the enw file directly into Zotero though via Gear menu -> Import
  • Here's the URL: https://scholar-google-com.ezproxy.gc.cuny.edu/scholar?hl=en&q=The+practical+irrelevance+of+relativism&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C33&as_sdtp=
  • Unfortunately, the way that proxy works is going to be an issue. There may be ways to bypass the problem in Firefox, but not in Chrome (currently anyway). I'll get back to you if we come up with something, but, for the time being, I would suggest either not accessing Google Scholar via proxy, or downloading the references directly from GS in EndNote or BibTeX formats and importing them into Zotero.

If you decide to give Firefox a try, there could be a way to have this work.