Exporting Zotero Citations to MediaWiki

Hello,

My first post here!

I recently started a private wiki using MediaWiki. I've been using Zotero for years, and am hoping there's a way to easily export citations into a MediaWiki page.

I know you can do it with Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources_with_Zotero

Following that model, I'd like to be able to drag a citation into my MediaWiki page (between the <ref></red> tags) and for the fields to be formatted appropriately in the citation list at the bottom of the page.

I've seen some older posts in this forum about MediaWiki, but none that seems to get at what I'm asking, except for one from way back in 2008: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5037/mediawiki-integration/

The first response basically says to set up citation templates on my MediaWiki site based on Wikipedia's templates, which seems like it would involve copying like 40+ templates (at least). The second response leads to a dead link.

I should say here that I'm new to MediaWiki and am still grappling with it a little bit. I could be missing some big, easy solution.

Does anyone have a nifty way to integrate Zotero with MediaWiki or am I out of luck?

Thanks!
  • edited May 18, 2015
    There's nothing special about the <ref> tag on its own. It takes whatever you put inside of it and places it in the footnote. So without templates, you can drag-drop citations from Zotero in whatever format you want (set via Preferences -> Cite Export -> QuickCopy), e.g. APA. The Wikipedia citation template copies over metadata that is then styled by various templates on wikipedia.org, so you would be skipping that part.
  • Thanks, that's very helpful. I had never played around with that feature and incorrectly assumed the citation would always be some sort of markup, even with other styles. Switching to a standard style as you suggest - which just puts out the text of a citation - worked just fine.

Just in case anyone after me is looking for where to set the Quick Copy default style, I found it under Preferences->Export (not -> Cite).

Thanks again, aurimas!
  • Oops. Sorry about the Cite part. Fixed above.