Never ending sync

Hello,
I'm experiencing sync problem on my Zotero account. It's been synchronizing non stop today and yesterday with no last updates available when I hover the sync icon. Could you please have a look at that. There was a quirk last week with a group that I joined but have since quit it.
Thanks

Philippe Dodin
  • Your client has been trying to perform a full sync for a week or so, including four hours ago, but you have no active syncs. If it's still spinning, restart Zotero and try again. Make sure you're not force-quitting Zotero even if it freezes temporarily.
  • edited May 15, 2015
    I have done exactly what you've suggested, waited a few hours yesterday and today, and it's still spinning. What would be the next option ?
    Thank you

Philippe
  • Can you provide a Report ID? Because of all the libraries you're in, the full download is massive (> 100MB), and it's possible it's failing behind the scenes with an out of memory error.

Do you have Zotero syncing working on another computer?

The next major version of Zotero will sync in much smaller pieces, but the current sync architecture can have trouble with very large full syncs like this.
  • Here is the report debug ID 2035042040. I'm working on more than one site so yes I do use Zotero on more than one computer. The last time I used the other one was more than a week ago though (May 6th).
    Thank you

Philippe
  • NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY
    Right, so that's the issue. Short of running this on a computer with more memory or temporarily leaving some of the groups you're in, your bet bet, assuming the other computer is syncing properly, is to export any recently created items (sorting by Date Modified in the library view) on this computer to Zotero RDF, transfer your database from the other computer to this one, sync, and then import the new items back in from the RDF file. Note that in this case you would only need to transfer the zotero.sqlite file, which should be much smaller, not the entire data directory.
  • You can try closing all other programs on your computer and restarting before syncing, though — that might free up enough memory for the sync to go through.
  • I transfered my zotero.sqlite file as recommended but had to reinstal completly Zotero for it to work. Everything seems smooth again.
    Thank you for the support

Philippe