Zotero does not save my References as it should

Dear contributors of Zotero,

I just started using Zotero as my reference manager and everything went fine, until I saved and closed my files. As soon as I reopened my files, the references were still there but the link with Zotero was lost. Let me give an example:

First step:

My name is Tom[1], my second name is Bleith[2]

[1] F. Balaguer, “[Hereditary and familial colorectal cancer],” Gastroenterol. Hepatol., vol. 37 Suppl 3, pp. 77–84, Sep. 2014.
[2] M. H. Nieuwenhuis and H. F. A. Vasen, “Correlations between mutation site in APC and phenotype of familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP): a review of the literature,” Crit. Rev. Oncol. Hematol., vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 153–161, Feb. 2007.

Then I saved the file and try to give another reference to [2].
But since the link with Zotero was somehow not saved, I got the following:

My name is Tom[1], my second name is Bleith[2], my last name is Van Oranje[1]

[1] F. Balaguer, “[Hereditary and familial colorectal cancer],” Gastroenterol. Hepatol., vol. 37 Suppl 3, pp. 77–84, Sep. 2014.
[2] M. H. Nieuwenhuis and H. F. A. Vasen, “Correlations between mutation site in APC and phenotype of familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP): a review of the literature,” Crit. Rev. Oncol. Hematol., vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 153–161, Feb. 2007.

Here you saw that Zotero thinks that I just made my first reference and provides a [1] instead of [2] (which was what I actually wanted).

I have no clue about how to solve this. I hope you will be able to help me, for I really need my library :(:(

Kind regards,

Paul
  • which word processor are you using?
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz

System type: 64bit Operating System, x64based processor
  • no, I mean _Word_ processor? Word or LibreOffice or something else?
  • ohw..

word 2013
  • And you're saving these as regular Word files, i.e. .docx?
    Can you consistently replicate this or did that happen just once?
    Did you use any other software (e.g. google drive) to open the files in between?
  • I used regular Word files indeed. I can also consistently replicate this. The example given above was directly copied from word.
    I did not use any other software in between, no google drive etc. Just word and Zotero.
  • Does this work correctly if you keep the document open? The problem only appears after saving, reopening, and closing?

I don't think we've seen anything like this before.

Unfortunately, your example also isn't entirely clear -- i.e. I don't quite understand why you'd want a [2] when inserting a new reference? Shouldn't it be a [3]? Or is this the same reference as [2]?

What happens if you switch to a different citation style like APA (which would print author date citation). Does that work (I realize that's not what you want. This is for testing).
  • And by "consistently replicate" I mean -- when you start a new document and insert reference and save, does the same thing happen?
  • If you keep the document open it will keep working, but of course this is no option. So after saving closing and then reopening the file, the problem starts; it seems to look exactly the same, but when you try to reference again, it think s that is the first time you try to reference.
    So to explain my example: if you made different references and you inserted your bibliography down low, and you safe the file and reopen it; you can try to refer to the bibliography you made, but the link between the reference and the bibliography is lost. So, if you continue writing and you want to refer to the 7th article in your bibliography, which should provide a [7], it gives you a [1], for the computer thinks it is the first time you make a reference. He just does not recognize his bibliography anymore.

Sorry for my English, it is not always as clear as it should be.
  • The operating system might be relevant. Is this a Mac or a Windows machine?
  • windows 8
  • edited May 22, 2015
    Could you create a fresh sample file where you create a new document, insert a few references, then insert a bibliography, save the file and close it, open it again, then insert a few more references and save it? Please email the file to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • I have sent you the file
  • adamsmith wrote:
    And you're saving these as regular Word files, i.e. .docx?
    But you're saving the file as ODT and Word should be warning you that some features will not be preserved when you save in this format. Among those features are field codes, which is what Zotero uses to keep track of citations. If you want to continue using the ODT file format, change your Zotero Document Preferences (gear icon in Word) to use Bookmarks instead of Field codes.
  • I never had the warning, but IT WORKED! Omg, never thought of this.. How stupid. Thank you very much.