"Database upgrade error" when trying to start Zotero standalone

When I try to open Zotero standalone on my office PC, I get the below error message:

"Database upgrade error

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.query :: line 149" data: no] [QUERY: DELETE FROM itemTypesCombined] [ERROR: database table is locked]"

The program then quits. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same message turns up.

I am using Zotero (and have it open) simultaneously on my mac, but this has never been a problem before. It seems like I have been able to synch this with the Zotero server without problems.

Thanks for the ideas on how to work this out!
Matt
  • Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • Yes, I had before I posed the topic and at that time it didn't work. I tried again once I saw your reply and it worked this time. Embarrassing! Thanks for your help.
  • yeah, can't say what happened, my guess is a process that hadn't properly shut down, but hard to say.

FWIW, having Zotero run simultaneously on separate computers (and syncing via zotero servers) is perfectly fine, so that definitely wasn't the problem.