Citation in Word adds initial to last name in in-text reference?

Hi, I am using the following style: Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date).

In general it works great, however there are two odd things happening which I can't explain.

I want to insert the following reference as an inline reference in Word using the plugin:
Anderson, Chris. 2009. Free: The Future of a Radical Price. New York, NY: Hyperion.

However, in Word it translates to (C. Anderson 2009) instead of (Anderson 2009). When I Copy Citation directly from the standalone Zotero app it works fine and gives me (Anderson 2009). However, when I insert the reference in Word via the Word Plugin, it adds the C. to the reference (C. Anderson 2009). The same issue happens with another reference.

So there are two references (out of hundreds) that add an initial to the name, which it shouldn't do. Any idea how this happened? I have double checked in the Zotero app and all fields (Lastname, Firstname) seem to be filled in correctly.

Thanks,
Anne
  • edited May 3, 2015
    If you generate a bibliography for the document, you should find two references by "Anderson" that are disambiguated by the initial. In a Chicago Author-Date bibliography, the two sources may be from different years.

That's the logic of the style, anyway: if there is not another "Anderson" entry in the bibliography, we'll need to dig a bit deeper.
  • Thank you! YES, there is another Anderson. I am sorry for having bothered you with this issue but I was unfamiliar with the logic of this style since I usually have to make use of MLA and thought it was a Zotero issue. Sorry & thanks for the swift reply!
  • Not at all! Glad to help.