New citation- not alphabetical order

Hi!

I am using Zotero and when I write all my citations and then create the bibliography then it shows in alphabetical order and everything is okay. But if I want to add a new citation in the beginning of the document and then refresh or create bibliography it is not in alphabetical order anymore.

Can you please help me with this? What am I doing wrong?
  • how and in which software are you inserting citations? In what format are you saving the document?
  • I am working with Word with the zotero add-in.
  • Do you have an example of how things look in the bibliography? Which citation style?
    What happens if you delete and re-insert the bibliography?
  • I have tried with several citation styles such as Chicago and Nature. If I add something in the beginning of the document then the reference goes in the beginning of the bibliography as well. I have tried to delete it and re insert it and also to refresh but it doesn't work.
  • I'm asking these questions to get a better sense of what's going on, not because I think they'll resolve your issue.
    So when you say
    "I have tried to delete it and re insert it (...) but it doesn't work."
    That's not enough information for me. Does that mean you get the full bibliography, with all items, but in the same, wrong order even after deleting and re-inserting?

Also, I'd really like to see an example of this in Chicago style, just the first 5 items or so of the wrongly formatted bibliography. (Nature bibliographies aren't alphabetical, so there you'd expect exactly what you're seeing).
  • I tried to create an example again and now it works fine. I dont know what I was doing wrong before but now that I am using Chicago and the bibliography is alphabetical.

I have one more question if you can help me.

Is there any style to have the citations as numbers in the text and in the bibliography to show: authors-year-title-journal-volume-pages alphabetically?

I know that the Chicago author-date and the APA work like this but they show the citations with the full names in the text. So I am wondering is there any way to change the full name of the authors to a number in the text?

Thank you for your time.
  • edited May 2, 2015
    There aren't a ton (most numeric styles have dates towards the end) but Springer styles might work, e.g. one of these.
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=springer%20basic

(edit: obviously if you need this alphabetical, you'd have to use the one that says alphabetical
  • It works!

Thanks a lot :)