Sorting bibliography by name then date

Hi,
First of all, thanks for Zotero, best citation manager ever!

I am using a citation style called : Infoclio (petites majuscules, French)
When I export a bibliography, it is sorted by author, so far so good. but for authors with more than one ref, they are not sorted by date. In short : I would like publications by the same author to appear sorted by year.

but code says :
<sort>
<key macro="author-or-editor" names-min="3" names-use-first="3"/>
<key variable="issued" sort="descending"/>
</sort>

How do I make my bibliography sorted by author first then date?

Thanks so much for your help!
  • So you want it to sort on the first-listed author only, then by date, then by the other authors?
  • yes please
    the references from multiples authors in the bibliography appear as "Last Name, F et al." so best if sorted as by Last name then date

thanks!
  • Is that the required sorting pattern of the style? (The link to the guide in the CSL style is out of date, so if you have that, it would also be helpful.)
  • Hi,
    thanks for your interest in my post.
    I'm not sure I understand your question but
    here is a sample of bibliography with several refs by the same author :

Spaulding Anne C. et al., « Jails, HIV testing, and linkage to care services: an overview of the EnhanceLink Initiative », AIDS and Behavior 17 (2), octobre 2012, pp. 100‑107.
    Spaulding Anne C. et al., « Planning for success predicts virus suppressed: results of a non-controlled, observational study of factors associated with viral suppression among HIV-positive persons following jail release », AIDS and behavior, octobre 2013, pp. S203‑211.
    Spaulding Anne C. et al., « Diversity of release patterns for jail detainees: implications for public health interventions », American Journal of Public Health, décembre 2011, pp. S347‑352.
    Spaulding Anne C. et al., « Cost Analysis of Enhancing Linkages to HIV Care Following Jail: A Cost-Effective Intervention », AIDS and Behavior 17 (2), novembre 2012, pp. 220‑226.
    Spaulding Anne C. et al., « Prisoner survival inside and outside of the institution: implications for health-care planning », American Journal of Epidemiology 173 (5), mars 2011, pp. 479‑487.
    Spaulding Anne C. et al., « HIV/AIDS among inmates of and releasees from US correctional facilities, 2006: declining share of epidemic but persistent public health opportunity », PloS One 4 (11), 2009, p. e7558.
    Spaulding Anne C. et al., « A comparison of liver disease mortality with HIV and overdose mortality among Georgia prisoners and releasees: A 2-decade cohort study of prisoners incarcerated in 1991 », American Journal of Public Health 105 (5), mai 2015, pp. e51‑57.
    Spaulding Anne S. et al., « Impact of new therapeutics for hepatitis C virus infection in incarcerated populations », Topics in Antiviral Medicine 21 (1), mars 2013, pp. 27‑35.

and here is the part of the code about sorting :

<bibliography name-form="long" and="text" sort-separator=", " name-as-sort-order="all" delimiter-precedes-last="never" et-al-min="4">
    <!-- the attributes on bibliography are inheritable name options -->
    <sort>
    <key macro="author-or-editor" names-min="3" names-use-first="3"/>
    <key variable="issued" sort="descending"/>
    </sort>
    <layout suffix=".">
    <text macro="complete-reference"/>
    </layout>
    </bibliography>
  • edited April 29, 2015
    I understand the issue, and it's an easy fix, just one line of code, and swapping two others.

I'm just asking whether the Infoclio style in the CSL repository should be fixed. If this is the sort order required by the published style guide, I can post the change to the repository; if it is a personal preference only, I will post a copy of the modified style for your personal use.
  • Yes, sorry. I could not find the guide ; this is more a personal preference.
  • Something like this should do it:

https://gist.github.com/fbennett/fda0cfa95fa9237e84ae

(Changes are at lines 428-430, I have also changed the style ID slightly so that it won't be overwritten).

You can download and install by clicking on the "Raw" link, saving the page as a file, then dragging the file into your Zotero.
  • Thanks so much F Bennett!!
    It seems to work perfectly!
  • Hello,

Can i use the same new lines to correct a problem I have with Harvard Elsevier? It appears to be sorting the documents with same authors and different dates in descending chronological order. I am not a coding person, so please forgive the ignorance.

Thanks,
    Anais
  • code can't be easily copied between styles, but before you get into that at all let's start with why you want to change this in Harvard Elsevier? Their styleguide is pretty clear on the sort order, it's done on purpose in the style, so for Elsevier publications you shouldn't change it. If you're just looking for a generic Harvard/author-date style, there are countless options, many with the opposite sort order.