Report ID: 1584975323

There seems to be a wide problem with using Zotero on Google Scholar atm, but I'm not seeing any reported solution. After performing a search, clicking on the Zotero folder in the address bar and choosing a paper to save, the Zotero dialog box 'Saving to XXX' appears, but the save never completes. I have tried on my (MacBook) and a friend's (Windows 7) machine and we are both having the same problem. A fix please?
  • Why do you think this is widespread? It probably isn't or they're would be more reports. Run through these, especially 10.1 https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
  • It seems widespread because other users are reporting the same issue. Also, that my machine has suddenly started doing this, as has a friend's on whose completely different system I freshly installed the plugin. (I was trying to introduce him to Zotero and show him how awesome it is.)
    I had already run through all the steps suggested at that link on both machines with no luck before posting here.
    It seems only to do with Google Scholar. I have seen on other threads that checking the option 'Show links to import citations into BibTex' in Google Scholar settings is suggested. I, like others, cannot get that option to stay checked. Perhaps this is a Google issue?
  • edited April 26, 2015
    People report individual problems with translators all the time. When issues are actually widespread, we get dozens of reports of them.

The last report we got of this was a week ago, and it appeared to be a result of broken cookies — either a Firefox problem or a problem with Google's cookie handling, but in any case unrelated to Zotero. The same thing appears to be happening to you. I would try manually clearing all your Google-related (or at least Google Scholar–related) cookies. That user fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, but that alone shouldn't really have an effect without deleting the profile directory (which is a bit extreme). Anyhow, that's about all we can suggest, since the problem occurs completely independently of Zotero.
  • This should now be fixed. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.

Google Scholar's cookie handling does in fact appear to be completely broken at the moment, but it doesn't affect people who still have the Google Scholar cookie saved in their browsers, so only people who haven't recently used Zotero with Google Scholar or changed their Google Scholar settings manually are affected. We've worked around their bug in a new version of the GS translator.
  • I did. Still no dice.