Error when getting metadata

I use Zotero standalone version. Since the last two days, I am getting the following error when I try to get an article's meta data (right click on the pdf):

C:\Users\ACER\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\ydo3pqx...\pdftotext-Win32.exe is not a valid Win32 application

I have never had this issue before. When I got this message for the first time, I uninstalled, and then reinstalled Zotero all over again. But the message persists.

Thanks.
  • Make sure you're running the latest version, 4.0.26.4. This was fixed a couple weeks ago.
  • Yes, I downloaded the latest version from Zotero site and installed yesterday.Checked just now - it is 4.0.26.4.
  • What version of the PDF tools is listed in the Search pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • Also, what's the size of the pdftotext-Win32.exe file within your Zotero data directory?

Drag all the pdfinfo* and pdftotext* files to a folder on your desktop, restart Zotero, and then try reinstalling the PDF tools from the Search pane of the Zotero preferences. We may be interested in more info on the old files, so hold on to those for the moment.
  • Version of PDF tools listed in search pane: pdftotext version 3.02a, and pdfinfo version 3.02a - this before the actions listed below.

Size of pdftotext-Win32.exe file: 128KB
    Size of pdfinfo-Win32.exe file: 584 KB

Both files dragged and stored on desktop as advised. Restarted and reinstalled PDF tools.

And meta data retrieval works!

Do let me know what to with the old pdf** files.

Thanks.
  • If you could email pdftotext-Win32.exe to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, that'd be great, but I suspect the download just got cut off. I'll see if I can reproduce that and put in a fix.