Import into a single collection

Is there a setting that will place imports from files into a single collection? It's rare that I have to export to/import from a file, but out of the box this creates a new collection every time. These can mount up and are slow to delete without multiple collection selection.
  • There's no setting, but you can open files in any text editor, select all, copy, and then use "Import from Clipboard" in Zotero. That will place imported items directly into the selected collection.

What do you use import from a file for? The design assumption is that this is, for the most part, for transfer from other reference managers.
  • Thanks for the workaround. I sometimes come across items where I can't grab a citation with the browser plugin but I *can* get a citation for that item from Google Scholar. I guess it's possible that GS can go direct to the clipboard?
  • edited April 14, 2015
    but the browser plugin grabs from google scholar, or am I misunderstanding something?

edit: but also, for your question, yes, you can copy the bibtex or RIS from GS straight to the clipboard and import.
  • Next time I run into the problem I'll try to remember to document it here. It sounds like there may be an even better solution to the ones you've already offered.