missing citation information from APA PsycNET

Hi,

I am using Zotero Standalone with the Firefox extension and most of the citations I try to add from APA PsycNET are missing the journal title, volume and issue numbers, pages, date, and DOI. It basically just lists the article title, author and abstract (Zotero is recognizing it as a journal article not a book).

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Paul
  • are you accessing PsycNET directly through APA or through a different service. URL?
  • I am accessing it via the APA's service.

Also, I just realized I can export the complete citation if I use the "export" option in APA PsycNET and then import it into Zotero. But if i click on the article icon in my browser I am missing most of the citation information.

Thanks for asking adamsmith
  • we'd still like a URL for some of the items you've tried. This is working in our tests.
  • Oh sure, sorry.

http://psycnet.apa.org.proxy.uchicago.edu/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&id=A038594F-AB87-8A6D-93ED-AAB7ACE1606C&resultID=4&page=1&dbTab=all&search=true

Comic books, mock trials, and zombies: Engaging integrative biopsychology themes in the classroom.
    Struthers, William M.
    Journal of Psychology and Theology, Vol 42(2), 2014, 188-199.
    Unique Identifier
    2014-24859-006
  • http://psycnet.apa.org.proxy.uchicago.edu/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&id=A03B6F4F-C17B-0C53-AD3C-7E2684A4E84C&resultID=1&page=1&dbTab=all&search=true

Horror films and psychiatry.
    Friedman, Susan Hatters; Forcen, Fernando Espi; Shand, John Preston
    Australasian Psychiatry, Vol 22(5), Oct 2014, 447-449. http://dx.doi.org.proxy.uchicago.edu/10.1177/1039856214543087
  • (@aurimas @zuphilip -- I don't have access, can you take a look?)
  • We only have access to the APA handbooks but not the PsycNet. @LibrarianPaul : What do you see if you click on the "Export" button on one of the database entry and then just go with the first option? Can you copy the RIS data here?
  • @zuphilip:
    Also, I just realized I can export the complete citation if I use the "export" option in APA PsycNET and then import it into Zotero.
    so that seems to work. My guess is that something might not be working with proxy authentication and APA then send truncated RIS, but that's just a guess
  • edited April 10, 2015
    @adamsmith, doesn't look like NU subscribes to PsycNET through APA. I only have access through EBSCO.

@LibrarianPaul, a debug ID (from the browser you're using) for importing one of the articles above may be helpful.
  • Sorry to be so slow in responding. I just submitted a debug report, # D227121994.
  • For starters, you're using Zotero 4.0.23, which is out of date. Upgrade to the latest version, and provide another Debug ID if you're still having trouble.
  • Thank you for the reminder to upgrade to the latest version. I did that just now and restarted everything and I am sill missing the journal title, etc. The Debug ID is D321930098.
    Thank you,
    Paul
  • Probably doesn't matter here, but note that 4.0.26.1 still isn't the latest version. The latest version is 4.0.26.3 or 4.0.26.4, depending on your platform.

In any case, if this is still isn't working, we actually need a Debug ID from the browser you're using, not from Zotero Standalone. See the separate instructions on the linked page.