Unable to add new references

Hello,
We have multiple team members using our Zotero library, and for one user all of the functions at the top of the desktop version of Zotero (magic wand, new note, add attachment) are not usable/clickable. He initially had been added as a "member," rather than an "admin" to the group, but this has now been corrected and he reinstalled the desktop version after that in case that was the issue. Is there a way to correct the settings so that these functions can be used and he can edit the library?

Thank you
  • Reinstalling doesn't do anything. He just has to sync after the permissions change was made.
  • Hi - similar to this issue, the creators for my group library have given me admin rights to edit. I have synced in Standalone but still can't add objects or files, or edit entries. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
  • When the group is selected in standalone, is the green plus sign (Add New Item) greyed out or can you manually create an item?
  • It's not greyed out exactly but I can't click on it. The only one I can click on is Settings.
  • sorry, yes, that's what I meant. That means you either don't have the required permissions yet or you haven't synced successfully. Have you tried adding an item to the online library of the group (i.e. here on the website)?
  • Yes, I have, by dragging and dropping into a folder and it just shows me the item as a webpage. What could be a reason for failing to sync successfully?
  • no, you can't drag&drop on the webpage -- if you drag an item to the Zotero window, your browser will just open it, same way as dragging it to any other browser window.

Try to manually create a new item using the green plus sign, again, on the webview of the library.
  • I can't actually see a green plus sign on the webview of the library, only a greyed out export button, cite button and library settings button (not greyed out). It looks like I only have viewing rights.
  • Correct. If you're not seeing that icon, you don't have write access to the group, so you'd have to check again with the group's owner.
    (You can look at your personal library in webview to see how this would look if you had write access).
  • Yes, thanks, it is clear in my personal library. I will check again with the group owner - by the way, if admin rights are granted, will there be a separate invite to accept or should it happen automatically?

Many thanks for your help! :)
  • you don't get an invite or even a notification for a change of role.
    (@Dan @fcheslack -- you could consider that, though?)