Can't import pdf

I have recently installed Zotero standalone and added the pdftotext version 3.02 and pdftoinfo vwersion 3.02.

In the Zotero preferences, search window i see the two are installed.

If i check updates I get no reply.

I have dragged several pdfsm of articles (offcial downloads from the journals) and when I right click on them and select "Obtain emtadata ..." the window starts up and a dot circles around for a long time and then I get "Unexpected error.."

I have tried everything and can't get it to work. Any help would be welcome.

Iam running Zotero on Windows 7 x64 machine
  • provide an error report ID after you get that error:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_a_report_id
  • 1) I start zotero standalone
    2) I drag a pdf version of a downloaded article to the centre pane
    3) I right click on the pdf and select "Import metadata"
    4) a window starts up with the name of the pdf fike and a timer circles for several minutes
    5) a window appears with X name of file An unexpected error occurred
    6) I open the action pane and select Report errors, then proceed to report.
    7) a window opens saying Wait, report is being sent and stays on for a minute or so
    8) a window opens saying Invalid answer from repository

The previous window carried this information:
    [JavaScript Error: "No items returned from any translator"]
    [JavaScript Error: "HTTP GET http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22words%3A%20ectonucleotidases%2C%20infection%2C%20inflammation%2C%20P2X7%22%20%22various%20cell%20types%20such%20as%20macrophages%2C%22%20%22can%20be%20initiated%20resulting%20in%20the%20induction%20of%20pro%E2%80%91%22%20%22Sa%C3%BAde%2C%20Bloco%20G.%2C%20Av.%20Carlos%20Chagas%20Filho%2C%20373%2C%20Cidade%20Universit%C3%A1ria%2C%20Ilha%20do%20Fund%C3%A3o%2C%20Rio%20de%20Janeiro%2C%20RJ%2C%2021941%E2%80%91902%2C%22%20&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search failed: Unexpected status code 0"]
    1428483714599 addons.update-checker WARN Request for https://www.zotero.org/download/update-source.rdf timed out
    1428483714602 addons.update-checker WARN Request for https://www.zotero.org/download/update-source.rdf timed out
    [JavaScript Error: "wizard.rewind is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/errorReport.xul" line: 120}]
    [JavaScript Error: "No items returned from any translator"]

version => 4.0.26.1, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 6.1; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.26.1, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.9.SA.4.0.26.1, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (3.1.18.SA.4.0.26.1, extension), QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.6 (7.7.6.0, plugin), Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U31 (11.31.2.13, plugin), Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.310.13 (11.31.2.13, plugin), Google Update (1.3.26.9, plugin), Adobe Acrobat (10.1.13.16, plugin), Microsoft Office 2013 (15.0.4545.1000, plugin), Silverlight Plug-In (5.1.30514.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Photo Gallery (16.4.3528.331, plugin), Microsoft Office 2013 (15.0.4514.1000, plugin)
  • anything unusual about your internet connection? It seems like you're not receiving updates (else you should be on 4.0.26.2 at least), nor are you able to submit error reports. Can you sync?

The same error may prevent communication with google scholar, which Zotero uses for retrieving PDF metadata.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I am connected to my university lan system. How can I check if I have connection problems?
  • edited April 9, 2015
    Yes, it does not allow me to synchronize either. I tried uninstalling Zotero standalone and rinstalling the newer version but have the same problem.

As I try to synchronize I get a window PDF Tools not installed, with the message "Error during download of 'Xpdf' from the zotero.org site. Retry etc.

next to the synch button, a ! button appears that says Error in connecting to server. Check internet connection. My internet connection is fine.

Not sure if this can help:

In the Actions window, I went to Advanced, Open:about config.

In the preferences list I found these as
    User set status:

[unrelated prefs removed — D.S.]
  • Are you connecting via a proxy server? Check your system proxy settings and make sure they're correct (if you are) or completely disabled (if you're not).

If that doesn't help, could you generate debug output for Zotero startup using the "Enable after restart" option, view the output in the preferences, save it to a text file, and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • OK thanks. have sent the debug file
  • Our computer tech tells me we have an automatic proxy and that it can't be disabled.
  • edited April 10, 2015
    The output you sent doesn't cover Zotero startup. (We need to see the proxy-related lines that Zotero logs at startup, not a failed connection later, which won't tell us anything other than that connections aren't working.)
  • OK, I retried withy "enable after start" selected and sent the text to support@zotero.org. Hope that is what you mean
  • Proxy not required for https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/proxy-auth

No general proxy or PAC file found -- assuming direct connection
    This suggests that Zotero isn't picking up any proxy settings from the OS. Can you check your system proxy settings and tell us exactly which settings are enabled? (And if there's a PAC file set, could you email the URL to support@zotero.org?)

When you open a browser for the first time after starting your system, do you normally need to log in to the proxy (via either a username/password popup or a web page, and if so, which one) to connect to websites?
  • No, it always connects directly.

I checked the proxy settings on Chrome > settings > advanced > change proxy settings.

in the Connection window, under LAN settings, the "Find settings automatically" button selected but the " Use a proxy server for LAN connections ...." button is not selected.
  • by the way, if I click
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/proxy-auth

i get a page that says OK
  • for Windows, the system proxy settings would be set in Internet Explorer, even if you don't use that otherwise. Can you check there?
  • In Explorer> settings > Internet options > Connections > LAN settings its exactly the same. The "Find settings automatically" button is selected but the "Use a proxy server for LAN connections ...." button is not.
  • (I believe Chrome shows the system proxy settings, at least on Windows.)

atossi: What happens if you browse to http://wpad/wpad.dat ? If that shows or downloads a file, can you email it to support@zotero.org?
  • OK, I looked into this, and it's actually an issue in Firefox (on which Zotero Standalone is based). Mozilla has, for security reasons, made the conscious decision, when Firefox is set to use the system proxy settings (as it is by default), not to use proxy autodetection even if the system is set to use that.

I think the reason we don't have more reports of this is that WPAD (proxy autodiscovery) just isn't that widely used, since it can be a major security hole, depending on network configuration. Mozilla's position is debatable here, but their argument is essentially that WPAD is dangerous enough that Firefox shouldn't use it without explicit action by the user, even if every other program on the system does.

I believe this should fix the problem for you:

1) Go to about:config from the Advanced -> General pane of the Zotero preferences.

2) Search for network.proxy.type.

3) Double-click network.proxy.type, which should be set to 5 by default, and change it to 4. (The different settings are explained here.)

4) Restart Zotero.

The caveat here is that, if you leave your current network with this computer, you should return the about:config and revert that setting to 5 to disable proxy autodetection. (The same applies, much more importantly, to the "Find settings automatically" setting in the system proxy settings, which shouldn't be left when not required.)

As long as Mozilla isn't honoring the system's proxy autodetection setting, we should probably consider giving the option of explicitly using proxy autodetection in the Zotero Standalone preferences.
  • I've added a ticket for this.
  • It works! Thanks so much.