does Zotero auto-save?

I don't see a "save" button in Zotero, so I assumed that it auto-saves. However, I've now lost my notes several times because once I navigate away from a given article to another one, my notes don't get saved. Any ideas?
  • notes (like any info input in Zotero) do auto save. Can you replicate this loss of information consistently? If so, with what steps, precisely?
  • I'm new to Zotero, so my memory may not be 100% accurate. As far as I can remember, I am reading a PDF that's saved in Zotero and that has been identified by the software. In the right pane I click on Notes and start typing. Then I click on the Sync circular arrow. Next, I move on to another article and do the same. When I return to any of the notes I remember having typed into, they're blank.
  • Notes save automatically one second after you stop typing, and when you click on any other item. You should be able to see that yourself by typing on the first line — when it changes in the middle pane, it was saved to the database. We're not aware of any way for notes not to be saved.

(Also, there's no need to click the sync icon manually. Just leave auto-sync enabled in the Sync pane of the preferences, and Zotero will sync 15 seconds after you last stopped editing.)