No reaction of Zotero buttons

System:
Windows 8.1
Apache Open Office 4.1.1

I work mainly with Open Office.
Mostly, the Zotero buttons show no reaction when I click. Just the OO-frame blinks. Once there was also an error message when starting OO saying that Zotero seem not to work properly and that I should reinstall it manually. Which I did without success. Also, if I click on "checking updates" and set "show all updates", there is a message from Zotero PlugIn saying:
An error occured:
Start tag expected, '<' not found
Line: 1
Column: 1

Anyhow, sometimes it does work. I set my citations and when I then want to add a next citation, it happens that it just shows {citation}; if I go with the mouse on it it shows for example "ZOTERO_TEMP_RNDfT1nt0VPxN". Clicking to edit that citation does not work (no reaction).

I tried it with an empty document and with MS Word and it's all the the same.

I already installed Zotero Standalone but that had no positive effect either.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me.
  • Wait - you get the same thing with Word? That seems rather odd--what exactly happens with Word?
  • edited March 4, 2015
    What exactly happens?
    I click for example "insert citation" and the blinking thing in the document which waits for you typing something in disappears. Furthermore, the outer frame of Word gets grey. It appears as if it switched to another window. If I click with the mouse in the document again, it gets active again.
    I also checked if Zotero does something in the back of the window but that's not the case.
  • OK, something is preventing the Zotero word processor dialog to come up (the dialog is part of Zotero, it's only triggered by the Word/LO add-on).

Have you tried reinstalling word processor components from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences?

It'd be helpful to try to run this with any security software disabled for testing.

We'd also like an error report ID right after triggering this
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • edited March 4, 2015
    Ok, in Word, the Zotero buttons are shown under the Add-Ins tab. I forgot when I saw it, that I had just installed the LibreOffice plugin. So I gues that it makes sense that it doesn't work in Word. Anyhow strange that Zotero is shown there.
    Any idea with Open Office?

btw, do you mean the cite panel in office or in Firefox? As I said, there's mostly no reaction when I click any Zotero button in office.
  • No, this should work in Word, too.
    I mean the Cite pane in Zotero -- either the Firefox version or Standalone, whichever you have open.
  • Ok, I switched my Antivirus program silent for that installation. The only security software I have.

The first test in Word was successful. I placed citations and the bibliography. After, I tried it in Open Office. That time the insert citation button worked, but placed only "{citations}". Editing that doesn't work. I tried it again to place a new citation and all the buttons don't work again (same issue as before described in Word).

After, I switched to Word again and then, also here the buttons don't react anymore.
  • see above about error report ID.
  • edited March 5, 2015
    ID: 492960808

One additional thing to note: In Open Office, I always tried to place the citations in a table.
  • adamsmith:
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: selectedItem is null" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/integration/quickFormat.js" line: 1102}]
  • Probably won't work, but I'm curious--if you check "Use Classic Dialog" in the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences, does that change anything?
  • No, it doesn't.
  • So, that error wouldn't actually cause much problems -- it just gets logged when you press the down key in an empty quick format bar. In this case this would seem like that's just something you tried while the bar wasn't visible.
    So the problem is something else.

After trying to insert a citation, when you cycle through all of your open windows -- is there any sign of an extra Firefox Window?
  • For me, I already quit trying it with Zotero.
    I could also avoid using it though it helped me already a lot extracting citation data from websites.

But if you want to keep on researching for the cause and solution, I help you.