Zlotero LO plug-in (Java) only partially solved for me after many steps.

I was working with a new Mac OS 10.10. After opening the new OS only the Apple standard apps were available.

Following the suggestion made by Rintze ( /disscussion/45286/ ) the first item I installed was the Oracle Java jre-8u31-macosx-x64.dmg.

Next I installed Firefox 36.

Next I installed LibreOffice for mac 4.4.1 and confirmed that I can create save and open documents.

Next I installed Zotero for FF 4.0.26.1 I confirmed that I could import items.

I downloaded the and installed the Zotero LibreOffice plug-in from the Zotero.org It showed up among the FF extensions (the only other extension is Zotero itelf).

Restarting FF and LibreOffice produced no error messages. However, the Zotero icon toolbar icons didn't appear. The Zotero LibreOffice integration wasn't listed among the LO extensions.

I went back to the FF add-ons manager Z-LO integration item and reinstalled the plug-in preferences and finally, everything is working fine.

It probably didn't make a difference but the first time the use classic dialog was not ticked and the second, successful time I ticked the option.

However, on my regular Mac that I've been using a couple of years, I uninstalled FF, Zotero, and LO. Then following the installation sequence above I reinstalled everything. Although there were no errors, and the Zotero icons appear in LO; the icons don't do anything (I can't add a citation).