Adding a non-english formatted (publication) date to reference

Hi folks,

I do have the following problem with editing (new) entries in my library. If I do add a date I do use by my German date format by default e.g. "02.03.2015" meaning "March 2nd, 215". Zotero is always reading this as "February, 3rd 2015" because it use the English date notation.
Naturally I can use "2015-03-02" which will be detected correct by Zotero and there is no problem too if the date number is greater than 12.

But I would prefer to be able to select the date format out of a combobox if it was detect false by zotero. This box could be at the place Zotero actually prints the "m d y" comment at the end of input line after entering a date.

Regards,
Thomas
  • I though Zotero did this right in non-English versions?
    Either way, a better date field, including an (optional) date picker is planned.
  • It should work correctly. Standalone or Z for Firefox ? And what's the language of your Zotero ?
    That can help : https://www.zotero.org/support/supported_languages
  • I do use the standalone version of Zotero with German interface on a German Windows.
  • Okay, while this is working correctly in Firefox Addon, I can reproduce the behaviour in Standalone in German. @Dan, is there a different handling inputed dates in localized configuration for standalone and firefox addon?

Moreover, other dates as accessed date are rendered the US way in the middle pane in standalone and not localized to German. For example "3/5/15" instead of "5.3.15".
  • IIRC, standalone and Firefox may display different behavior as far as localization is concerned, so what you describe above is possible. This is because XULRunner is not shipped with localizations built in (or something like that)
  • yes aurimas : https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/64 but the issue is with the written form of localized months.
  • Thomas, what are the values of intl.locale.matchOS and general.useragent.locale ? Click Preferences->Advanced->about:config, type without quotes "intl.locale.matchOS" , then "general.useragent.locale"
  • My values are intl.locale.matchOS = true, general.useragent.locale = en-US. Changing it to intl.locale.matchOS = false, general.useragent.locale = de seems to solve the problem. However, zotero itself with all menues and labels are in German for both configurations. Does that make sense?

Okay, another test case is intl.locale.matchOS = true, general.useragent.locale = de, which is also working fine. When is zotero using which values?