Syncing via web-dav: password error [1114997331]

Dear ZoteroTeam;

I`m facing a problem with syncing to my NAS via webDAV:
After running without problems for a long time now syncingattempts stop with the error message "the web-DAV username and password are not accepted; check sync preferences an contac server-admin"

I've been tryin to work around this for 2 days now, including (of course) making shure that username and password is correct, testing it with other accounts (e.g. the adminaccount), changing passwords and updating firefox und the NAS-firmware and so on..

I could not fix it; it still says "Username / password not accepted"; but wenn I log in to the WEB-Dav folder via netdrive with the same username/password combination acces is granted..
I know, Web-DAV is first af all in my responsibility, but after crosschecking all this I'm thinking it could be a zotero problem;

could you have a look at the debug-file; maybe I`m overlooking something important...

thanks a lot and best wishes

Christoph
  • Does your password and/or username contain some unusual characters? Are you able to log in by visiting the WebDAV URL (the same one you enter in Zotero Sync settings, e.g. https://dav.box.com)?
  • No, username and password contain simple Standard chars. A short moment I thought it has somezhing to do with capital letters, but alterating this didnt solve it..

And yes, I can log in the using the url via the Webfrontend. Its a qnap NAS, so its routed via the dyndns of qnapcloud....
  • We would probably need a Debug Log for a sync attempt that fails to authenticate in order to say anything useful. (above you provided an Error ID)
  • Actually, start with a Debug ID just for clicking "Verify Server" in the Sync pane of the preferences, assuming it fails.
  • Ok, thanks a lot for your engagement, Debug ID is:

D1147962675
  • I, i have to correct something:
    Login via the webfront of the cloudserver works fine with the username/pw combination (https);

but Login via browser pasting the https....:8081/zotero/zotero
    gives me error 401 Authorization Required..

using netdrive 2 with the same username/pw combination works fine..

I'm starting to think its something deeper in the combination browser/webDAV engine...
  • Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIHttpChannel.getRequestHeader]
    This happens when your WebDAV server responds to an OPTIONS request for the /zotero URL without requiring authentication (as it does for the later requests).
  • And this isn't a browser compatibility issue. Zotero just expects the OPTIONS request to be protected the same as all the other requests. We could probably fix this, but since that's the behavior for nearly all other WebDAV servers, it's not much of a priority. But I think this also may affect only the Verify Server step, so you may actually be able to work around it by going to about:config in the Firefox address bar, searching for extensions.zotero.sync.storage.verified, and double-clicking it to set it to true.
  • Ok, I understand (a bit); thanks a lot for investigating!
    The workaround setting extensions.zotero.sync.storage.verified TRUE doesn`t work [if you`re interested in POST-DEBUG: D45424741]

but I'll have a look at the configuration of the WEB-DAV Server, if I can fix it there, I`report..

Otherwise (another workaround idea:) do you think its possible to run Zoterostandalone in a mounted LAN-drive?
  • The workaround setting extensions.zotero.sync.storage.verified TRUE doesn`t work
    Sorry, to clarify, you don't press Verify Server after setting that to true — you just sync. When verification passes, that value gets set to true, so you're just skipping that step.
    do you think its possible to run Zoterostandalone in a mounted LAN-drive?
    No, it's definitely not (at least if you mean for multiple people to access it).