Translator error Report ID:324507436

Report ID:324507436

Using Chrome, have a group library set up which it wont save any thing to. It will save to my personal library though.

Very new and very confused!

Please help!
  • does it display any error message directly to you (other than the error report)?
  • yes it pops up at the bottom right hand side of the screen, An error occurred while saving this item. Check known translator issues for more information.

And I've tried the known translator issues page but not very helpful its so focussed on firefox also!
  • OK, and this is on any page?
    And just to confirm: when you have your group library highlighted you get an error and on the same set-up, with your personal library it works?
  • correct!

on any page it errors, and yes my personal library works but not the group one. Very frustrating.
  • and can you create items in that group library by hand (create new item with the plus sign)?
  • @Dan - could you check what that error says, if anything?
  • no, I cant make a new item manually with the plus sign for the group library.

but I can for my personal one.
  • Then you don't have permission to add items for that group library. Talk to the group's owner or an administrator.
  • oh! simple as that! thanks so much for your help :)
  • Hi again - I can now edit the group library as I am an admin now :)

BUT everything is now saving to my personal library - not the group one - even when I have it highlighted in standalone.

I can drag and drop items over to the group one but this is a bit of a hassle. Any ideas?

Thanks again, almost there!
  • In Chrome, on chrome://extensions/
    when you click on "Options" for the Zotero connector, what does it say under Zotero Standalone? (make sure you have Zotero Standalone open when you try this).
  • currently unavailable :(

I have no clue why. I've synced it so the standalone is showing what other group members have put into the library also. So its half working
  • Try temporarily disabling your security software (this is for testing obviously), especially Firewalls, and proxies you may be using. Restart Chrome and Zotero, see if that message changes.
  • I disabled adblock with the checkbox in extensions, restarted both chrome and zotero and rechecked status but still unavailable.

I dont think I have any other security software..
  • on your entire computer, no other security software? No Avast, ZoneAlarm, etc.?
  • Nope, not that I'm aware of - its new and I'm technologically very unaware and ignorant. Oops. Maybe I should invest some time to research into security measures by the sounds of it..
  • Any other solutions for unfriendly libraries?
  • edited March 6, 2015
    which operating system?
    edit: the problem isn't the group library anymore, but the fact that Chrome and Standalone aren't communicating. Your items are saved from Chrome to your library on the server and sync from there to Standalone. That's where security software would have come in--something is preventing the connection between the two.
  • its working!

I have no idea why - could it have anything to do with internet servers? As it was not working at my university, now home and it is working?
  • as your operating system? That can't be right. You wouldn't be able to install Zotero Standalone there.
  • And also was working the other day when I was home also
  • OS X 10.10
  • It could be - would likely be related to a proxy server - would you know if you're using one when at the U?
  • yes! just checked the website, and there is a proxy server.
  • yeah, you'll likely need the help of someone more a bit more familiar with the set up at the U, but in technical terms

Chrome needs to be configured not to proxy localhost, specifically 127.0.0.1 (that should hopefully be enough info for someone who knows what they're doing)