RIS Import : M3 and "extra" field

Hi,

In a precedent thread (2012), someone mentionned the curious mapping of the M3 RIS field "extra type of publication" in the DOI field of Zotero...
I try to import a RIS file where the M3 field is implemented with an extra type of publication...Unfortunately, this information disappears at the import...
is there any possibity to import the M3 in the "extra" field without having to edit manually the translator ris.js ? Is it possible to correct/update the RIS translator in that way?
Thanks a lot for your help (and sorry for my awful english : i'm french :-))
  • Can you post a sample RIS entry (starting with TY and ending with ER) that fails to import M3 field? Also, what software is this RIS file coming from?

To never discard any data that Zotero cannot map, you can toggle the RIS.import.ignoreUnknown hidden preference. See https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences#translator_preferences
  • Where are you importing from? The M3 field isn't particularly clearly defined and Endnote, I believe, puts the DOI in that field.
    (Feel free to write in French).
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help!!
    Here is a sample :

TY - JOUR
    AU - DUPONT, Isabelle
    LA - Français
    PY - 2006
    SP - 233-244
    T2 - Bizantinistica
    TI - L'"école" de traduction des catholicos de Cilicie
    VL - 8
    M3 - Articles dans des revues avec comité de lecture
    ER -

I'm importing this record from an institutionnal repository of the Université Paul Valéry (Montpellier): they have made the choice of the M3 field for the AERES (the french research evaluation agency) type of publication... I wonder if it was a good idea... I know that the CIRAD also use the M3 field to this purpose...

En français, c'est plus simple :
    Cette notice provient d'une base de publications scientifiques de l'Université Paul Valéry de Montpellier. Le choix a été fait, pour l'export au format RIS, d'utiliser le champ M3 pour reprendre le type de publication AERES... Je ne sais pas si c'était une bonne idée...
    Pensez-vous qu'il soit possible, dans le translator, de faire une expression régulière de type : s'il y a des nombre alors DOI, sinon EXTRA.
    En vous remerciant pour votre superbe boulot!!
  • I'm sorry to say, but I don't think we will be importing M3 for journal articles (it is imported for other types of items, which have an appropriate Zotero field for it). The hidden preference I describe above I think is your best bet for keeping that information.

On a side note, does Zotero not support Université Paul Valéry (Montpellier) library? I'm not sure that I found the same catalog that you are trying to import from. The one I saw was an Aleph catalog and was supported by Zotero (via URL bar icon)
  • Thank you Aurimas for your answer.
    So, i have try the hidden preference "trick", but it doesn't work for the journal article type : the m3 data is still missing and no note is created.
    What wonders me is that in Endnote web, when I import the same ris record, all is working fine : the M3 field is implemented in the "optionnal field" "Type of publication" and even the location of the conference is fine...When i export the record from endnoteweb in Ris format for importing it in zotero, both data are missing : "CY" is mentionned in a note and M3 simply disappears...
    Thanks again
  • Sorry about that. M3 was getting discarded as an invalid DOI. That should be fixed now and you should be getting a note attachment.

Update your translators via Preferences -> General -> Update Now
  • When i export the record from endnoteweb in Ris format for importing it in zotero, both data are missing : "CY" is mentionned in a note and M3 simply disappears...
    There's not much I can say about EndNote's import/export. RIS is a format that they developed (well.. their ancestor company anyway) and documented, so you would think they could follow it. Unfortunately, that's never been the case.
  • edited February 25, 2015
    Thank you Aurimas for your Help! Ok whith your statement about Endnote and his "exotic" use of RIS.
    But the ris specifications (http://www.refman.com/support/direct%20export.zip) are explicite and i definitely not understand the choice of mapping M3 to DOI... Perhaps it was a need few years ago, when DOI was not so used as today?
    Nevertheless, thank you for your help and for your work!
  • The RIS format predates DOIs. Zotoro's implementation of RIS predates Before Thomson Reuters's addition of 'DO' to the RIS spec. During this time, CrossRef encouraged publishers to use M3:
    http://www.crossref.org/08downloads/ref_export_1_0.pdf
    I'm not sure how common this still is, but CrossRef has some weight behind it.

I think the way we're handling it now is appropriate. The current spec says M3 is no longer a miscellaneous field, but is explicitly the "Type of Work". Since Zotero doesn't have any field for that for most resource types, discarding when RIS.import.ignoreUnknown=true and when the contents don't match a common legacy use of the format (DOI) seems to be the best course of action.
  • Thanks Noksagt for the complement. Crossref has obviously some weight behind it. But the recommandation dates back to 2006!!
    Anyway, if you, aurimas and the community of users don't have any claim about M3 field, no problem!