Zeitschrift für Pädagogik (German)

I have spotted some minor style "errors" that need changing.

1)
The date in electronic references should have leading "0" as in [22.02.215] and not [22.2.2014].

2)
The ZfPäd style has spaces between abbreviated forenames.

3)
It also has a comma (,) before the &-sign in front of the last author. (I consider it superfluous but anyway.)

4)
It also has no space between the italicised volume number and the non-italicised issue number in brackets.

Correct version:

Ehren, M. C. M., & Honingh, M. E. (2011). Risk-based school inspections in the Netherlands: A critical reflection on intended effects and causal mechanisms. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 37(4), 239–248. doi:10.1016/j.stueduc.2012.02.001

Current version:

Ehren, M.C.M. & Honingh, M.E. (2011). Risk-based school inspections in the Netherlands: A critical reflection on intended effects and causal mechanisms. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 37 (4), 239–248. doi:10.1016/j.stueduc.2012.02.001

5)
It also appears that not a person but an organisation is given as an author that then it is not followed by a point. This is not clearly stated in the manuscript guidelines but practised in the journal itself.

Example:

Behörde für Schule und Berufsbildung (2011). Abitur 2011: Regelungen für die zentralen schriftlichen Priifungsaufgaben. Hamburg: Behörde für Schule und Berufsbildung.

Is it possible to automatise that?

That's all for now. ;)
  • Yes, the issues can be corrected. I am not sure about no. 3, because in the style guideline the examples are differently:
    (Haupt & Sander, 2008)
    (Meyer, Huber, Sander & Forrer, 2008)
    F. Y. Bogner & R. L. Lödin (Hrsg.)
    but also
    Lerntier, A. F., Faulpelz, D. R.,& Duchsmaus, K. G.
    Do you have any better information about that? In doubt: I would like to have no comma before the "&" as it is usual in German.
  • the comma here:
    Lerntier, A. F., Faulpelz, D. R.,& Duchsmaus, K. G.

is because of the initials/lastnames after the last name.
    Think of it spoken (read this aloud for the commas to make sense):

Lerntier, Alfred F., Faulpelz, Daniel R., und Duchsmaus, Karl G.

That's why you have it in the bib entries but not in the citations.
    That's why you have a comma for two names, too, i.e. delimiter-precedes-last="always".
  • Okay, I included it in the pull request.
  • edited February 23, 2015
    @adamsmith

I get you but I'm surprised that they deviate from APA/DGP as it doesn't really add value as far as I'm concerned.

@zuphilip

Thank you for adjusting the style.
  • Pull request was accepted and the update should appear shortly.
  • zuphilip,

Is it possible that the leading zero "0" is missing for the days in the ZfPäd style. Please see below for an example:

PhVN (2014). Stellungnahme zum Entwurf der Neufassung des Erlasses „Schulinspektion in Niedersachsen“. Hannover: Philologenverband Niedersachsen (PhVN). Verfügbar unter: http://phvn.de/images/Schulinspektion2014.pdf [Stand: 9.03.2015].
  • Yes, thank you for reporting. I corrected it and it should appear shortly.
  • It works now. Thanks a lot!
  • Dear zuphilip,

I've noticed a few other aspects that require modification.

The ZfPäd guidline states
    Bei Internetquellen:
    Nachname Autor/Autorin, Initiale[n] Vorname[n] (Erscheinungsjahr). Vollständiger Titel. URL angeben [Abrufdatum].

Beispiel:
    Lerntier, A. F., Faulpelz, D. R., & Duchsmaus, K. G. (2010). Wie unterschiedliche Menschentypen lernen. Erfolgreiche Lehr- und Lernansätze im Unterricht.
    http://www.bildungsseite-berlinlernt.de/lerntypen/fenrichs/2010.pdf
    [12.05.2010].
    This means that "Verfügbar unter: " has to be erased from the CSL style code (see e.g. below).
    Matthews, P., & Sammons, P. (2004). Improvement through inspection: An evaluation of the impact of Ofsted’s work ( No. HMI 2244) (S. 184). London: Ofsted. Verfügbar unter: http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/4969/3/3696.pdf [Stand: 28.04.2010].
    I've also noticed that the report number No. has an empty space " " after the opening bracket. I think that is a mistake. Can you please confirm that? Many thanks!
  • edited March 11, 2015
    Yes, I can confirm both issues. I will fix them. Update: It is fixed and it should appear shortly in the repo.
  • In the lasted issue of the ZfPäd (2/2015), I found two instances of DOI references in the same article (S. 241-242). So, I think it is fair to conclude that the have no consistent DOI policy.
    OECD (2013). PISA 2012 Results: Excellence through Equity: Giving Every Student the Chance to Succeed (Volume II). PISA OECD Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264201132-en [21.10.2014].

Parker, P. D., Schoon, I., Tsai, Y., Nagy, G., Trautwein, U., & Eccles, J. S. (2012). Achievement, agency, gender, and socioeconomic background as predictors of postschool choices: A multicontext study. Developmental Psychology, 48(6), 1629–1642 [DOI: 10.1037/a0029167].
    However, in their Manuskriphinweise from 2013, they write:
    Sofern nicht spezielle Gründe für eine Abweichung sprechen,
    sollte aus der neuesten Ausgabe zitiert werden. Die Kennzeichnung erfolgt nach den APA-Richtlinien.
    I therefore recommend to follow the APA CSL convention. However, the access date in square brackets at the end of each URL should be kept for reasons of consistency with other URL sources.

The above citation then would look like:
    OECD (2013). PISA 2012 Results: Excellence through Equity: Giving Every Student the Chance to Succeed (Volume II). PISA OECD Publishing. http://doi.org/10.1787/9789264201132-en [21.10.2014].

Parker, P. D., Schoon, I., Tsai, Y., Nagy, G., Trautwein, U., & Eccles, J. S. (2012). Achievement, agency, gender, and socioeconomic background as predictors of postschool choices: A multicontext study. Developmental Psychology, 48(6), 1629–1642. http://doi.org/10.1037/a0029167 [27.03.2015].
  • Personally, I am agreeing on most of the points with you, but the doi is a stable url and therefore the access date might be negligable. However, I am not sure if we can decide the standard format. On the other side the editors seem to accept currently every variant which is somehow reasonable. @adamsmith: What do you think about this?
  • the doi is a stable url and therefore the access date might be negligable
    You're right. I just wondered whether that is one of these ZfPäd journal idiosyncrasies that overrides the APA (or DGPs) style.
  • I would use [DOI: 10.1037/a0029167]. My guess is that the dx.doi URL is treated as a regular URL in the example, not as a way to display URLs, which would explain the different formats.
  • I have to disagree with you on that one. After all, ZfPäd directly refers to APA in their author guidelines. Deviating from APA just complicates matters. I agree with bwiernik that displaying DOI in URL format is more user friendly and accepted by APA.

I'm happy to contact the editors to check their preference on this matter if we cannot settle it here.
  • feel free to contact the editors. Given that they deviate from APA on the whole question of online sources in the first place (as well as a host of other issues like et al, issue numbers), I don't think DOI requirements can be guessed by what's closer to current APA standards.
  • Okay, I've written to one of the editors. I'll give an update once I get a clear statement from them.

The issue with the spare bracket solution is not only that it does make if more difficult to get to source document but also that the closing square bracket make copy & paste more difficult as well. It is like ending a URL with a compulsory point.
  • The editor's answer was: follow APA! Any of the APA-approved doi variants would therefore be considered acceptable (and others apparently too). The ZfPäd style could therefore be left as it is but I rather have it in sync with APA 6 CSL. Whether it is changed or not is up to you guys. In the end, I guess, it is not a big deal.
  • Hello,

I think I've found a small error in the ZfPäd style.

I get the following output:
    Van Ackeren, I. (2003). Evaluation, Rückmeldung und Schulentwicklung. Erfahrungen mit zentralen Tests, Prüfungen und Inspektionen in England, Frankreich und den Niederlanden (Studien zur international und interkulturell vergleichenden Erziehungswissenschaft). Münster: Waxmann.
    However, in ZfPäd publications the following output is commonly used:
    Ackeren, I. van (2003). Evaluation, Rückmeldung und Schulentwicklung. Erfahrungen mit zentralen Tests, Prüfungen und Inspektionen in England, Frankreich und den Niederlanden (Studien zur international und interkulturell vergleichenden Erziehungswissenschaft). Münster: Waxmann.
    @zuphilip

If you change the code, could you also please align the DOI with the Zotero APA style? I think this should be done as a matter of good practice. Many thanks!
  • 1) The difference I can spot in the example is the position (and capitalization) of the particle "van". How did you enter that in Zotero?

@adamsmith: How should this dropping particle be entered in Zotero?

2) The doi is aligned currently with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychologie style (as the whole style is an adaption of this). I would rather not change that. (Maybe editors could give us clarification here...)
  • The "van"s, i.e. tussenvoegels are a constant source of problems, but in general, "van Ackeren, Ingrid" (or whatever her/his last name is.)
  • 1) I've entered it as follows:
    Author: Ackeren, Isabell van
    Author: (last), (first)
    Maybe this extract from the official DGPs guidelines might help:

Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychologie. (2007). Richtlinien zur Manuskriptgestaltung (3. Auflage). Göttingen: Hogrefe.
    14.1 Reihenfolge der Werke im Literaturverzeichnis
    ... Artikel und Präpositionen im Namen werden, wenn sie als übliche Namensbestandteile anzusehen sind, als Teile des Familiennamens behandelt (z.B. de-Vries); ist der Namensvorschub nicht als Teil des Familiennamens anzusehen, bleibt er bei der Reihung unberücksichtigt und wird wie ein Vorname gereiht: H. L. F. von Helmholtz wird als Helmholtz, H. L. F. von angeführt.
    (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychologie, 2007, S. 85)
    I'm not sure what this means for "van Ackeren". Is "van" part of the last name or not. I for once know that the "commonly used" example given above is how its practised in the ZfPäd journal itself.

2)
    ZfPäd writes:
    Die sonstige Gestaltung des Textes ist nach dem APA-Standard vorzunehmen.
    See:
    http://www.beltz.de/fileadmin/beltz/downloads/zfpaed/Manuskripthinweise_ZfPaed_2013.pdf

Given that ZfPäd does not mentions DOI, I conclude that one should follow the APA style on DOI. The DOI citation format implemented in the Zotero APA style has received informal approval and is the most user friendly implementation. Thus my suggestion to adopt it for the ZfPäd style as well.