Not saving from SCIENCE DIRECT, report ID 416657745

PROBLEM: Zotero can no longer save any references from SCIENCE DIRECT.
Followed all these: https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues

At http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025322712000990 When hovering the mouse pointer over the translator icon it reads
SAVE TO ZOTERO (SCIENCE DIRECT)
- Clicking on the translator opens a small gray window in the bottom right corner of the screen (it reads SAVING TO...) as usual, however, the citation is not saved/cannot be located in MY LIBRARY or included as a citation when writing
- Tried with articles from other sources (including New York Times and Springer). Zotero works fine with these.

MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
Firefox 35.0.1
Zotero (not standalone) 4.0.26

Thank you for any help!!
  • I can reproduce that. But this seems to be a problem from the publisher. When you try to export the citation into RIS or BibTeX manually (besides the PDF button) the following message shows up:
    Sorry, your request could not be processed because the format of the URL was incorrect. Contact the Help Desk if the problem persists. [SD-001]
  • Dear all,

I am encountering the same problem as mentioned by "villaromero" (my ReportID 831434755).

I have Zotero Standalone installed and use Google Chrome as browser. I didn't encounter any problems with Zotero up till now.

I checked the troubleshooting_translator webpage and I have everything updated.

My system clock is also set correctly.

If someone could help me on this issue, I would be very grateful. In the meantime I will be waiting patiently and already thank you for your time and interest in this matter.

Kind regards
  • edited February 19, 2015
    Same problem for me. As @zuphilip commented, it seems like its a problem from SD, because you can't also no longer export citations in RIS (or any other format, for that matter).

I'm trying to save http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304387813000333. The icon for saving the article appears on the URL bar and when clicked prompts the "Saving to My Library..." message, but then nothing happens.

I have Zotero standalone installed and use the Google Chrome extension. All translators are up to date, system clock is correctly set and the extension seems to be using the correct translator (ScienceDirect). The extension doesn't report any errors. I'm on OSX 10.10.2, Chrome 40.0.2214.111 (64-bit), Zotero Connector 4.0.21 and Zotero Standalone 4.0.26.

Hope it gets fixed soon. BTW great work with Zotero! Keep it up. Cheers,
  • I have reported it to ScienceDirect/Elsevier.
  • @Dan - could you please pin this until it's fixed?
  • ID 673364973
    Same for me (FF 35.0.1, W7)
    François
  • Okay, I received some answer from Elsevier:
    We have come across an issue affecting the Export functionality in ScienceDirect. The issue has been identified and our developers are currently working to find a solution. [...]

It is still possible to export from the table of contents by clicking the checkboxes just to left of the article titles however. Exporting to Mendeley is also not affected and works normally.

We expect a fix for this issue will be implemented as soon as possible.
  • I am having the same problem and tried what Elsevier suggested: "It is still possible to export from the table of contents by clicking the checkboxes just to left of the article titles however." (as reported by zuphilip above)

It didn't work. I checked the checkbox to the left of the article int he table of contents; the pop up with the full table of contents opened; i checked the article I wanted and clicked "OK"; same issue. It didn't save.
  • what Elsevier is referring to is this:
    1. Check the boxes of the items you want to export
    2. Click on "Export Citations"
    3. Select RIS (or BibTeX, doesn't really mater) and export.
    4. You can import the exported file into Zotero

That's obviously not ideal -- it's multiple steps, it doesn't save the PDF -- but that's what they're referring to.
  • I am encountering the same problem as mentioned by "villaromero" (ReportID 831434755). Mendeley, as stated by Elsevier above, works normally. However, workflow is severely disrupted.
    Thanks to CHNM for gargantuan efforts to keep up with all the moving targets! Looking forward to this one stabilizing again soon.
  • just to be clear, in this case the problem isn't a moving target, (which implies that Zotero could readjust): it's a bug on sciencedirect that they've acknowledged and promised to fix asap: http://blog.sciencedirect.com/posts/error-reported-with-export-functionality-19-feb
  • edited February 20, 2015
    Seems to have been fixed. Can someone who was experiencing the issue confirm this?
  • Yes, now it's working (at least for me). Thank you.
  • @Dan - OK to unpin, looks like it's fixed.
  • Indeed! Thank you for your time and effort!