Error Exporting Zotero Library

I am unable to export my Zotero library (and individual files) to other formats like Endnote, BibLaTex, etc. Every time I click the export button and save in a new format, the following message appears on my screen:

"[JavaScript Application] An error occurred while trying to export the selected file."

I am using the stand-alone Zotero application on a Mac. I have tried un-clicking "export notes" and "export files" and also exporting in different formats. Nothing works.
  • Start by disabling all other Zotero extension. Make sure you're using the most recent version of Zotero (4.0.26).
    If that doesn't help, reset your translators from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences. That'll likely fix it. If not, we'd like an error report ID right after a failed export:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_a_report_id
  • Thanks, that worked!!
  • I have 500 + citations in my Zotero bibliography for a current book project currently in "Nature" format. To make the bibliography work the way we want it to I have to have a Word version of the entire bibliography so I can modify the citations to meet publication standards. Every time I try to export using the Select Library>Center Column Ctrl A> I get an option save in Z RTF, which the instructions say I can then open in Word -= but it is always machine garbage when I open. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. j
  • edited February 21, 2015
    don't use export. Use Create Bibliography from Selected Items from the right-click menu and save as RTF.

The export menu is for data transfer (say to a different reference manager or other Zotero user), not bibliographies, and you're saving as Zotero RDF, which is something entirely different.
  • Thanks Adam Smith -- I thought (lol) I had tried that before with no success but when I tried it after reading your post, it worked. Great. jws
  • I'm unable to export a subcollection to a CSV file format. The process returns an error "An error occurred while trying to export the selected file" The same error message appears regardless of the number of files selected.

I'm using Zotero 4.0.24.1 in Firefox 36.0 on Win 8.1 PC. I've reset the translators as adamsmith suggested above. Error report ticket 942199870 submitted. Export to CSV was working well last week.
    Thanks for your help
  • update Zotero. You need 4.0.26.1 for Firefox 36
  • Updated to 4.0.26.1 which resolved the export error. Looks like Avast was interfering with the automatic updatings. Thanks for the speedy response adamsmith
  • I try to export my library to an external hard drive, in order to have all my files saved on it. It worked the last time I did it, in June. Now, I try to do the same thing but I have an error message saying :

"[JavaScript Application] An error occurred while trying to export the selected file."

What should I do ?
  • Vanessa: We'd need a Report ID, but note that an export is not a backup. If you want to make a full backup, see Backing Up Your Zotero Library.