Sync error: Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS)

Hello,

I've had this 'sync issue' for quite some time now, and I am worried about what it might mean. I checked and saw that my most recent things seem to be syncing to the zotero website correctly, but I am worried that there is something big and problematic going on with my syncing. I've looked through the zotero Forum, but haven't found an answer. Please help! Thank you for your time.

The error code reads:

Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsIFile.create]

and the detail for the report is below:

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]

version => 4.0.25.2, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.10, locale => en-US, appName => Firefox, appVersion => 35.0.1 [...]
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error?

(And no need to post the contents of error reports. We really just need the ID it gives you after you submit it. Providing the contents of dialog boxes, as you also did, is helpful, though.)
  • Thank you, here is the debug ID

• Sorry, that's a Report ID. We need a Debug ID.
  • Here it is, sorry for the delay and thank you for your help.

D2034698509.
  • OK, this should be fixed in the latest 4.0 Beta. You can install that over your current version, sync, and then, if the sync goes through, switch back to 4.0.26.
  • I am getting this error as well. I also updated my standalone version.

My Debug ID: D1852495549

I had the Chrome extension installed plus the standalone. I removed the Chrome extension, restarted my Apple MacBook Pro and then restarted Zotero. It was at this time that I got the Debug ID. I hope this helps!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike Davis
  • Same as above. It should be fixed in the 4.0 Beta, which is available for Firefox. Install that into Firefox, close Standalone, and sync in Firefox. If that works, you can reinstall 4.0.26.2 for Firefox (or just uninstall Zotero for Firefox if you don't use Firefox) and then restart Standalone.
  • i have the same problem, but even after installing 4.0 beta. The Debug ID is D1438269646. Any other suggestions?
  • dicaprio: Try the latest 4.0 Beta now.
  • Hey Dan, this totally worked! Many thanks.