Zotero integration error

Hello, I have been using zotero for several years and have never had this problem before, but I recently updated my firefox and now when I try to use zotero in word, I get a message saying "zotero integration error Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again."

How do I know what extension I need, and could you direct me to where to find it?

Thank you!

Angela
  • we'd need to know the version numbers of all relevant software involved (Zotero, Firefox, Zotero Word add-on, Word).
  • OK here is that information:

Zotero version 4.0.25.2
    Firefox 35.0.1
    Word Mac 2011 14.4.5
    Word add-on - where would I find this information?

Thanks
  • under about:addons in Firefox (copy/paste that into the URL bar and hit return).
  • ok it looks like I have a few, not sure which ones are relevant:

zotero scholar citations 1.8.8
    zotero automatic export 1.1.8
    zotero 4.0.25.2
    zotfile 4.1.2
  • looks like you're just missing the Word add-on. Install from here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#microsoft_word
  • Thank you will do!
  • I tried to download the word add-on and it said "cannot open the file because parts are corrupt or invalid"
  • try from a different browser and/or try emptying your cache. The add-on is fine.
  • It worked! Thanks very much.
    Angela
  • Hi
    I am having the same issue. I have used Zotero without problem for over a year, but now since my computer updated to Firefox v36 I receive the following error in word when I attempt to use the add-on:

Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again.

The versions of everything I have installed are as follows:
    Zotero 4.0.26.1
    Zotero for word add –on integration 3.1.18
    MS word 2010 Professional Plus version 14.0.7143.5000
    Firefox 36.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Danielle
  • start by re-installing the word processor add-on from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • I have tried re-installing in the cite tab. I even removed the add-in and downloaded it again and re-installed it. Then restarted my computer. Is there anything I am missing?
  • Nothing I have tried so far has fixed the problem. Can you recommend any other things to do to fix this issue? Thanks for your help.
  • I have created an error report. The report ID is 1547728657. Thanks again for your help.
    Danielle
  • You definitely have everything installed correctly. Try disabling Avast to see if that helps.
  • edited February 26, 2015
    (At least, you have the Firefox parts installed correctly. If you haven't, you should try removing the add-on from Word, restarting Word, making sure it's gone, and then reinstalling it from the Cite pane.)
  • There are now at least 5 reports of this, all on Word for Windows since the FF36 update. We'll need to take a closer look at this, would be great if we could get Simon for this?

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/47137/zotero-integration-error/#Item_0
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/47133/plugin-for-word-not-working/
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/47140/zotero-could-not-load-the-component-required-to-communicate-with-your-word-processor/#Item_0
  • FWIW, I'm not able to replicate this on W7, FF36, Zotero 4.0.26.1 and Word 2013, so while it's clearly pretty widespread, it's not a universal issue.
    For those affected, what security software are you running? Could you try temporarily disabling all of it (for testing only, of course) and see if that makes a difference?
  • FWIW, I didn't have Firefox installed at all at first (I don't think) - just Chrome - don't know if that matters. It's installed now.

Windows 7 SP1
    Office 15.0.4693.1002
    Security software: Bitdefender Total Security 2013 - turned it off and no difference.
    Still works fine with LibreOffice.

Cheers, Steve
  • edited February 27, 2015
    to adamsmith: I already tried all the steps with NOD32 temporarily disabled, but it was no help.

Another point: On another computer with Windows 7 Home and Office 2010 Professional Plus, Zotero 4.0.26.1 and Word add-in 3.1.18, everything runs as expected.
  • FWIW, I didn't have Firefox installed at all at first (I don't think) - just Chrome - don't know if that matters. It's installed now.
    In that case you need to install either Zotero in Firefox (and the Word Integration extension) or Zotero Standalone and have them open when trying to cite in Word.
  • In that case you need to install either Zotero in Firefox (and the Word Integration extension)
    well, but if LO is working, presumable they're doing this right.
  • Yes, I had Zotero standalone running (and the Word Integration installed)!
  • Just wanted to update that somehow the problem mentioned above was solved in my computer. If anything was done to repair it, THANK YOU :-).
  • no changes on the Zotero side of things. No update to Firefox, either--so either this is a coincidence or a Word/Windows change. Any updates by other people welcome.
  • Zotero is not working with Word 2010, and it doesn't help to install the extention. Two days ago it worked with out any problems, and I havn't instaled any updates for windows or word.....

Please help, I have to give in my master theises in two weeks!!!!
  • are you getting the exact same error?
  • Oh sorry, guess I was too hasty. The problem has returned...
  • so it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't??? ugh. If you restart Windows (try this a couple of times) does that make a difference?
  • "Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again"

And I've allready tried to restart several times this afternoon