Exporting all citations in a particular word document to endnote/other library file

My question is in 2 parts

Part 1
Me and my friends are working on a project. I use zotero but others use Endnote. Now when I handover my work to them, they are asking me to give the document along with the endnote library file containing the references of that document so that they can work from their endnote.

Is it possible to accomplish it in any other way?

Part 2
If I coax them to work with zotero, is there any way to export only the citations of that particular document to a library file, so that I need not handover my entire library to them?
  • One possible solution to part 2 of my question is to keep all citations of the document in a collection and export it. Is there any other way?
  • Part 1 isn't possible and likely will never be.

Part 2 is a bit more complicated. Zotero actually embeds the citations into the document, so they could just work with them (They will show up in the Word/LO add-on under "Cited")--though they couldn't actually import them into their own library (that latter part will be possible at some point in the not-super-distant future).
    The alternative would be to create a Zotero group and only cite items in the group.
    Exporting items and importing them in another version of Zotero won't actually help--if they cite the same item, it'd appear as a duplicate, since, for Zotero's purposes, those would be to distinct database entries.
  • Thanks!

On going through the forum I understand that it is impossible to edit citations inserted in a document using zotero with endnote and vice versa. So this whole exercise is futile. The bottom-line is that me and my friends have to stick to one reference manager at least for this project. I'll convince them to use zotero. I'm sure that once they find how easy zotero is they'll not go back! :)
  • Just clarify this point.

If we all use zotero, and use the 'store references in document' option, then I think we don't need to carry the library around. We will still be able to do these 3 important things from a different PC with a different zotero installed (for each user):
    1) changing the style of the references
    2) Adding a new reference which is not in the document
    3) Re-citing a reference already within the document

Am I right?
  • Yes, all 3 will be possible. What you won't be able to do is edit metadata for a reference that someone else inserted (e.g. fixing an author's name).

What we suggest for collaboration is creating a group and inserting references from a group library. All of you would keep the group in sync and would have access to all the metadata.
  • I understand now! Using a group will allow the library to be shared with all the users of the group, so anybody in the group can easily work with the document.

That's great!

Thanks for the help!
  • Solution that worked for me!

The link below from UCSF details a process that can be adapted from endnote to Zotero. WizFolio allows coping the reference list from MS Word into WizFolio which can then be exported to a RIS file. This file can be shared or copied and pasted into Zotero via "import from clipboard' directly into a subcollection.

Make sure to check that the references imported correctly, WizFolio got about 1 in 10 of mine wrong.

https://blogs.library.ucsf.edu/inplainsight/2013/09/19/using-wizfolio-to-transfer-a-ms-word-bibliography-to-endnote-or-refworks/

Hope this helps

Note: Free WizFolio account allows only 50 references to be imported per month.