Version control integration

I wish Zotero can be integrated with a version control system. Although it seems that it is not designed to support such integration easily (backed by SQLite?). But anyways, what if it is? I see a big potential here. I could be inviting big trouble for you guys :-).
  • While I use version control for my documents, I don't see much point in version-controlling a database; syncing is quite enough.
  • If you use this as a documentation tool, wouldn't you want to version your documents? Make Zotero as a documentation tool, that is the potential I'm seeing.
  • Can you be more explicit about what you wish to do? You can, of course, keep the database in the version control software of your choice as a binary blob. There might be some benefit of keeping a long term transaction log within the database, but I don't know how useful that would really be.

Citation info doesn't change that much. If it does, you'd rarely want the out-of-date information.
  • Basically I would like to use Zotero as a platform for my daily jobs. I keep all my notes, documents that I'm working on, all references and resources (local or internet) for my research. I am using Zotero for that purpose now and I love it! But it would be better if I can version all my files so that when needed I can look at the history or roll back to an older version. I may even share the files with my coworker if the repository is somewhere on the network. I may check in the files at work and check them out at home to continue to work on my projects.
  • So then you can probably just version control the folder that Zotero uses to store those documents (which are not stored in the database).
  • I see. But it would be nice if it is integrated with a version control system so that I don't have to get out of Zotero to do check in/out. Thanks anyways!
This discussion has been closed.