Exporting from Group Library to My Library

I am new to Zotero and would like to export all the files from a group library (I have permission to manage and edit the group library) and add them to my library. How do I do this?
  • Yes how does one do this?!
  • sync and drag&drop from "My Library"
    https://www.zotero.org/support/groups#interact_with_groups_through_the_zotero_client
    you need to install Zotero. Can't be done on the web.
  • I can't seem to drag the group library files to "My Library" file. Nor do I know how to sync!
  • sync: https://www.zotero.org/support/sync
    beyond that, we need you to spend a bit of time describing what you're seeing and trying. "I can't seem to" gives me nothing to go by. But most beginners who struggle with this don't have Zotero installed and/or are trying to do this on the web at zotero.org which is not possible.
  • I am having a similar issue. I am using zotero 'standalone' when trying to do this. I can see my library on one screen and then, my groups appear on another screen I access by clicking 'groups' at the top. I believe my groups used to appear at the bottom of the list of 'my library' folders but now they are on separate screens and I cannot figure out how to drag and drop from one to the other. I also want to drag and drop the files from a folder in 'my library' to a folder in 'groups'.
  • From your description, it seems you are looking at the http://zotero.org website via a browser, and not the Standalone view. If you post a screenshot to a free graphics hosting site (such as http://imgur.com/), someone can confirm.
  • I am on a windows 8.1 device and am linking to zotero through an 'zotero standalone' link. And, it is the screen from which I can insert references into my document. So, I'm pretty sure I am on 'zotero stand-alone.
    I have used stand-alone for a while now but just recently switched to a windows 8.1 device. This is the first time I have not been able to see my library and groups on the same screen
  • edited January 5, 2015
    It's possible that I've misunderstood your explanation. I suspect, though, that others may also be curious to see screenshots of the actual views.
  • Yeah, no matter the platform, Groups would _never_ be accessed by clicking on something at the top of the screen in Zotero Standalone, so please do post a couple of screenshots and we can figure out what you're actually looking at.
  • I seem to be having the same problems as @yasminehachimi, @mogigglez, and @rwongpt. I cannot figure out any way to copy any items between my personal and group libraries.

Here is a screen shot of my stand-alone client. I think that @rwongpt was referring to the "New Group" icon located above the library tree and just to the right of the "New Collection" icon. Notice that in my screen shot, only my library is displayed. The group library is missing:

http://imgur.com/or1a7iY

Here is a screen shot of my group page. It seems to be set up correctly:

http://imgur.com/Goo80mu

I've never had any problems syncing, but this is the first time I've tried working with groups, so I must be overlooking something simple?
  • That just seems like you haven't successfully synced since the group was created (which looks like it was today). Otherwise you'd see "Group Libraries" at the bottom left. So that'd be the first thing to double check: Manually sync, see if there's an error message (or the groups appear).
  • edited January 5, 2015
    DerpDaBlerg: You haven't synced since December 19th. See Changes Not Syncing. If you have other questions, you should start a new thread.
  • Eureka! You are a genius, adamsmith!
  • And Dan Stillman, you are brilliant!
  • This is a confusing discussion. The OP asked how to transfer from Group to My Library. And he seems to have been given instructions on the opposite.

My 10G online storage is full and so I can't sync anymore. I'd like to move some groups from the Group Library into My Library, and then export them somewhere onto Dropbox manually as a Zotero rdf-file with attachments. But I cannot drag-'n-drop from Group to My. Nor can I export from Group - neither from the Standalone, nor from the Firefox extension, not from the internet.

So: help! :)
  • (note that you can still sync. It's just file sync that stops when your storage is full)

This works the same way regardless of direction. You can drag&drop between any two libraries in any direction (provided you have the relevant permissions, of course, which is never an issue dragging _to_ your library). So you'll need to expand on the "I can't" part.

Also, you can definitely select any number of items, right click --> Export in any group.

Again the reminder, if any of what you're doing involves anything on the Zotero website, you're doing something wrong. All of this works only in the app. Standalone or Firefox add-on are equivalent for this purpose.
  • Thanks. But so this can only be done at the item-level? The thing is that I have a number of nested (sub)folders under in the group I want to move from Group to My library. And so I can copy all of the records, but I still lose the folder structure. Is there a way to retain this structure?
  • you can drag entire collections, too, just not the whole group.
    You can also export any collection in any library (just not a whole group at once)
  • Thanks. That's useful. And so I CAN indeed drag 'n drop individual yellow folders ('collections') from the Group Library to My Library, but NOT the brown folders ('groups'). And all the subordinate folders of that collection do get nicely copied as well. So that's great. But am still unable to select multiple selections at the same time. And since I sometimes have 10-15 subcollections in some of my groups , this is kind of a pain. Or am I missing something here too?
  • Not sure what multiple selections at a time means since you can't actually select multiple collections in Zotero, but generally yes -- if you have 15 collections in a group, you need 15 drag&drop operations to transfer them all to "My Library" (and vice versa). You also need 15 Export operations. That latter bit is on the list of things that'll hopefully be addressed sooner rather than later.
  • Sorry - was a typo. I did indeed mean selecting multiple COLlections :). Ok, so now at least I know that's impossible. And it's nice to see it's on the to-do list. Thanks Sebastian!
  • To be clear--I don't think selecting multiple collections is on the to do list. At least I wouldn't know. What is, is the ability to export an entire group to Zotero RDF (or any other format).