Zotero crashes after updating to OSx 10.10

Hello,
i just updated to OSx 10.10 and to Chrome (i used to use firefox). the Chrome standalone works as in i can add articles and resources to my library but once i downloaded Zotero app it doesn't function at all. It crashes while trying to sync with my Library. From my understanding, the standalone that is given for Chrome doesn't have the same pop up at the bottom of the browser window like Firefox does, but if that is the case the Zotero download app should be the only way (besides my online account) for me to access my library.
Is it just that the Zotero app isn't upgraded to work on 10.10 yet? Are there any other solutions to this?
Thanks!
  • edited October 17, 2014
    Have a quick read here to understand different parts of Zotero: https://www.zotero.org/support/installation
    It crashes while trying to sync with my Library
    What does "crashes" mean? Do you get any error? Or does Zotero just freeze up (not responding), which is normal behavior for a first/large sync?
  • i get an error saying "Zotero crashed unexpectedly. Would you like to reopen?" however once i press reopen it doesnt reopen. I receive a very long crash report if you want to see it but it is all Greek to me...
  • I'm having a similar issue. I've never been able to successfully launch Zotero standalone. My Firefox also crashes when I try to open it. I've been trying to get Zotero standalone to work with either Chrome or Safari. It appears that when Zotero standalone launches it ties to synch with Safari before crashing. I get an extensive report which says "Zotero quit unexpectedly."
  • edited November 1, 2014
    Jeff: In your case, delete the file /Users/<username>/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/fbplugin_1_0_1.plugin, which is some old "Facebook Photo Uploader" plugin that apparently causes problems on Yosemite. (Hold down Option when clicking on the Go menu in Finder to get to the Library folder within your home directory.)

Paoula: You can check if you have the same file. If so, delete it.
  • edited November 1, 2014
    To clarify, the fbplugin issue isn't actually specific to Zotero at all — it's a general issue in all Mozilla-based programs in Yosemite. They're fixing it for Firefox 36 by blacklisting that plugin.
  • Dan,
    That appears to have worked. Maddening that something so useless could cause so much trouble.
    Thanks
    Jeff
  • I had the same problem with Zotero crashing after upgrading to Yosemite.. Dan Stillman's solution worked for me. Thank you!
  • yg9
    edited July 25, 2016
    Hi there,
    I'm sorry to go on but I do not find any fbplugin in my library.
    Could you explain to me how to go further?
    I get now an OSX 10.11.4 on Elcapitain with this crash :
    Could not install the Zotero plugin on openoffice extension.

Please help me, I get so much to work and finish in the days.

Many thanks//
  • Please provide the (update) version numbers of the software you use Zotero, Open Office, etc. Are you using OpenOffice or LibreOffice? What version of the OO/LO plug-in?

See instructions for reporting problems:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • We'd actually want all the information DWL says, but please start a new thread ("Start a New Discussion" at the top left).