Debug ID D824104393: Frequent "An error has occurred" -- changing item view during syncing

I've been experiencing frequent (6-7 times a day) crashes of both Zotero for Firefox (beta) and Zotero Standalone (since the last update). These crashes happen after a lot of different actions, but I think the common trigger may be changing the item tree display (e.g., changing collections, sorting) while a sync is occuring.

Debug ID D824104393 shows one of these crashes in the Firefox beta.

As an aside, it's taken a long time to get a debug log because the log turns off frequently. Am I doing something wrong that the logging doesn't appear to stay on after restarting (even with the box checked)?
  • edited October 3, 2014
    Not 100% sure, but I believe I am having the same problem.

See report ID 769422041.

This error typically occurs when I open the Zotero pane in Firefox, though I have also had it occur during regular usage of switching items as the OP reported. I have been experiencing this bug for months. Once it occurs, I cannot close the Zotero pane and have to restart Firefox to regain usability. I notice that I can still save items after the error occurs, but I can't see it since the error message covers up the central browsing pane.

I am using webdav item syncing on Ubuntu 14.04 with latest updates.

Edit: Happened again after restarting Firefox. Report ID 595882276.
  • bwiernik: Can you grab the latest beta and try to log this again? The relevant error wasn't being added to the debug output before, so it's hard to see exactly where this is happening.

BBUCommander: I'm afraid we'd need a Debug ID that captures this, not a Report ID. If this occurs reliably enough that you can generate one of those using the latest 4.0 Beta, that'd be helpful.
    As an aside, it's taken a long time to get a debug log because the log turns off frequently. Am I doing something wrong that the logging doesn't appear to stay on after restarting (even with the box checked)?
    "Enable after restart" only works for a single restart. Logging can have a performance impact, so we want to make sure that it's not possible to leave it enabled by accident.
  • BBUCommander: But note that you're actually getting a WebDAV error as well, which may or may not be related.
    Unexpected href '/zotero/orphaned-files/' in Zotero.Sync.Storage.purgeOrphanedStorageFiles()
    Not sure what that folder is doing in your WebDAV directory, but Zotero didn't put it there, and you should delete it. Start a separate thread for questions about that, though.
  • Dan: I installed the latest Zotero 4 beta and the problem persists. My debug report is D1251491109. It seems to occur while changing collections.

I deleted the orphaned-file folder as you suggested. It was created while recovering my Zotero database after it became corrupted a few years ago. Attachments for all articles saved before 2010 'cannot be found', so there is still a problem, but I will post in a separate thread about that when I have time to fix it.
  • OK, I think I have a fix for the middle-pane errors in the latest 4.0 Beta. They indeed would've occurred when switching collections (or a few other things) while a sync was taking place.
  • edited October 5, 2014
    I think it appears to be fixed. Haven't gotten the error as I tried to produce it. It didn't happen consistently before, either, but here's hoping. I will let you know if it occurs again. Thanks Dan!