Citation versus bibliography

Hi, for my phd thesis I need to use a standard citation style in the text, meaning, (Autor, year) and then for the Bibliography they require me to submit all author's lastnames in capital letters (AUTOR, Name and the complete reference)

How can I program it like that?
Rephrased: How can I program citations (Autor, year) and generate a Bibliography with AUTOR, Name, reference....

I would really appreciate your help on this issue.

Many thanks!
  • How much do you know about editing styles in general? Do you need step-by-step directions (which is a bit hard, since that takes a lot of time) or just the CSL code for capitalizing author lastnames?
  • Hello,

thank you very much for taking the time to answer to my query. I'm sorry but I do not know much about editing styles. I'm a fast learner though...

My eyes are open! :)
  • OK, do you have another style that's otherwise similar or exactly what you want? You can either look through the previews at
    zotero.org/styles
    or the tool at
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/
  • I went through the style list and couldn't find one that would do the
    inline citation: Lastname, year
    Bibliography: LASTNAME, Name....

I always use the Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date). Is there any way I can program the biblio settings only in the Lastname issue, and keep the rest of the style untouched?

It is just a requirement the doctoral school has to submit phd thesis. :(
  • edited October 3, 2014
    Sorry for the delay. Find general instructions for editing styles here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

Specifically, find
    <macro name="contributors">
    <group delimiter=". ">
    <names variable="author">
    <name and="text" name-as-sort-order="first" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    <label form="short" prefix=", "/>

and change to

<macro name="contributors">
    <group delimiter=". ">
    <name and="text" name-as-sort-order="first" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always">
    <name-part name="family" text-case="uppercase"/>
    </name>
    <label form="short" prefix=", "/>

edit: just to be clear: these are instructions for Chicago (author-date) specifically. The same idea works in all styles, but details will differ.
  • Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I will try it and let you know.

thanks again!
  • edited March 24, 2015
    Hello,

I have the same issue with the APA 6th citation style (see this new thread: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/47790/style-request-management-avenir/).

The text adamsmith presents here does not match my .csl file and I cannot succeed in making the changes. Would you please give me a hand?

Here is what appears in my .csl file:
    [...]
    </macro>
    <macro name="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="all" and="symbol" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first" strip-periods="true"/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    <choose>
    <if type="report">
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text macro="title"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    [...]
  • same logic, though. Change

<name name-as-sort-order="all" and="symbol" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>

to

<name name-as-sort-order="all" and="symbol" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always">
    <name-part name="family" text-case="uppercase"/>
    </name>
  • Thanks a lot for the quick and precise answer!
    In fact, I had the logic but I think I was putting spaces/line brakes where I should have not.
  • edited March 29, 2015
    Hello again,

Thanks to you Adamsmith I have submitted my article yesterday!

Now, I am aiming at submitting another article to another French scientific journal which is demanding "small capital letters" for the author names (http://www.iseor.com/rsdg.asp)!! (I know, this is demanding).

Would you please be able to guide me again from the same basic APA 6th citation style?

If you manage this, you can manage everything lol!
    Thank you in advance for your help.
  • small caps are a lot more reasonable than uppercase letters, I think.
    It's a quick change: Where you have text-case="uppercase"
    above, use font-variant="small-caps" instead.
  • edited March 27, 2015
    @lokacee

Are you submitting your new journal citation styles to the CSL repository? I ask, because the European Journal of Education seems to be similar to the ISEOR style:

Inline citation: (Lastname, year)
    Bibliography: Lastname, N. ...

It would be helpful to use the ISEOR style as a base.
  • edited March 29, 2015
    Dear adamsmith, thanks a lot for the quick answer.

Unfortunately I have just discovered that they expect other changes than just small caps. Maybe the APA 6th citation style is not the best base to start with.

Indeed, the ISEOR citation style also requires:
    - article references to look like that (F is the first letter of the given name) : Name F., « Article Title », Journal name, tome XXXII, N°3, month, date, p3.-33.
    - book references to look like that:
    Name F., Book title in italics, Editor, Place, date.

Would you please be able to guide me?

PS: zurpher, I don't know if I will submit anything to the csl repository. Given these new elements, I first have to build the ISEOR citation style!
  • edited April 8, 2015
    After some research, it appears the best base to start with is in the Zotero repository under the following name: "Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date, French)".

In the bibliography:
    -Would you please be able to tell me how to put the author names in small caps in this citation style?
    I am stuck as I cannot find the text adamsmith was refering to in other styles (see this thread: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/40881/citation-versus-bibliography/#Item_15).
    -Would you also please be able to tell me how to remove the parentheses for the year?

In the text:
    -Would you please tell me how to put (Author 1 et al., date) when there are 3 authors or more?
    -Would you also please tell me how to remove the pages when it shows (auhtor name date, pages)?

(to make it clearer for other users, I have started a new thread: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/48144/style-request-recherches-en-sciences-de-gestion/#Item_1)
  • Could anyone help me please?