Icelandic translation of Chicago Manual of Style 16th ed full note

Dear all,

I need to make an Icelandic version of CMS available within Zotero to our students at the Iceland Academy of the Arts. I have two documents in .xml that I collaborated on with a programmer. How do I make the file available for download here in .csl format? Each student will have to access the file from somewhere and I don't know how to make it into a .csl file. Can anyone help me, please?
  • Do you mean that you translated the terms used in CMoS (e.g. "accessed")? Or do you mean that you modified the CMoS style (i.e. formatting) to fit your needs?
  • The CSL local file for Icelandic is complete, but it still may contain errors. For example, I doubt that "available at" is the same in Icelandic.
  • Or is the issue that some terms are CMS-specific? I think you mentioned something about APA in your initial pull request--so are the existing terms correct for APA but not for Chicago?
    In that case, could you list the ones that are _different_ from the currently used terms? We can then build them into the Chicago Manual styles.
  • Hi there,

Ok, sorry for the confusion.

So, what I have from the programmer are two files:

One is what he calls "the new version of the locale-IS.xml file."

I also have the _different_ file for the same file that he made.

Should I copy paste the _different_ here?
  • That's great. The question is: is this a general improvement over the old version of the style or is this CMS specific?
    Paste the diff file here: https://gist.github.com/
    create a public gist and post the link here.
  • Ok, it's CMS specific.

Here is the link, hope it's right.

https://gist.github.com/6cfa8e5cb04f3ff43227.git
  • edited September 18, 2014
    great. So it looks like some of these are alternate translations, but for some you're actually replacing an English term (e.g. "available at", "illustrator", and "director").
    We'd want to distinguish between the two. Most are pretty clear, but could you help me out with a couple:
    Do the current abbreviation for "issue"--"nr." and for "note" --"n."
    ever make sense in Icelandic or should we just use your translations, "tbl." and "ath." respectively?

Also, for "version"--you have "útgáfa," the same as for edition. Just to be clear, "version" refers only to the version number of computer software. Could you confirm that "útgáfa" is the correct term here?
  • Ok, "tbl." is the standard word for issue. nr. is not.

"ath." is the standard word for note. --"n." is not.

"útgáfa," is the standard for both version and edition, yes - also in relation to computer lingo.

Thank you for your help :)
  • ok, so what happens next?
  • Sorry, I'll need a little more time to get this done, might be until the weekend.
  • OK, I've pushed all of these changes https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/commit/b19f019c5a21dfdf89cb24173743cb808eed8673 -- they will make it into the next Zotero version, so you'll have to wait for this to work until that comes out (no ETA, but usually they come out every couple of months).

One more thing I'd like to ask about is
    < <term name="circa">sirka</term>
    ---
    > <term name="circa">um það bil</term>

We're not currently using these terms in any style, so it's not terribly important, but this would mostly be used for dates, i.e. if you only no the ballpark of a year of publication for, say, a classical source, it'd be "circa 1250" -- which of the two terms is better suited for that?