Lost files

After a routine computer update, suddenly all of my zotero files are missing when I launch the (standlone) program. How do I restore them?
  • what exactly do you see when you open Zotero? If you just see the "welcome to Zotero" item, see https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#where_did_my_items_go
  • Thanks for helping out. Yes, I followed that advice. I have located the files in the "storage" folder after clicking on "Show Data Directory," but what do I do next to have them re-appear in "My Library," along with all the collections I'd created?
  • sorry, not sure I understand, so please start by answering my question: What exactly do you see when you open Zotero?
  • When I open Zotero it's as if I've just installed it -- no files in "My Library" except for the Zotero Quick Start Guide. I followed the directions at the link you sent me, and I have found my files in the "storage" folder (via "show data directory"). My problem is that I don't know how to get them from there back to being displayed in "My Folder."
  • That just shows you the active data directory, so those files would just be the empty database that you're currently using. If you read the link adamsmith provided, you'll see that it says to search your hard drive for other zotero.sqlite or zotero.sqlite.bak files — with file sizes larger than 1 MB, which is likely what you're seeing now — that contain your actual database.
  • Thanks Dan. I've searched my hard drive for both types of files, but the results come up empty (?). In the "storage" folder it shows 1,451 files, all of which I can open separately.
  • if it comes up empty you're not looking right--there's at least one, the current (albeit empty) database. Let's start with the contents of your zotero data folder, i.e. the folder that contains the "storage" folder. Which files does that contain and what are their respective sizes.
    Forget about the actual files in "storage" for the time being. Those will, unfortunately, not help you at all.
  • Here's what's in the folder (w file sizes):
    zotero.sqlite-journal (88.6 KB)
    zotero.sqlite.bak (.98 MB)
    zotero.sqlite.1.bak (75.7 MB)
    zotero.sqlite (1.58 MB)
    pdftotext-Win32 (580 KB)
    pdttotext.exe.version (4 bytes)
    pdfinfo-Win32.exe.version (4 bytes)
    pdfinfo-Win32(584 KB)
    Then there are folders labeled "locate", "storage", "styles", and "translators".
  • that looks very good.
    Read very carefully and do exactly in this order:

Make sure Zotero/Firefox is closed, but keep that folder open.
    First make a copy of that entire folder. Put it anywhere.
    Then move zotero.sqlite out of the folder (to anywhere you want to).
    Then rename zotero.sqlite.1.bak to zotero.sqlite
    Restart Zotero/Firefox.
    You should see your old library now.
    Turn off automatic sync for the time being. Seeing this is a bit odd, this almost looks like you or someone else deleted all your items deliberately. (@Dan, can you check that on the server?)
  • Just a quick clarification: when you say "move zotero-sqlite out of the folder," do you mean take it out of the original folder or the copied version?
  • out of the original folder. The copy is just for safety, all operations are in the original folder, i.e. Zotero's actual active data folder.
  • That did the trick! Thanks to both of you for all of your help. What do you suggest I do with the copied folder I made, simply delete it?
  • Yes, you can delete that now, though I would make sure that you always have a back-up of your Zotero data folder (ideally regular&automated: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_library )

Keep autosyncing off until we hear from Dan, though.
  • It doesn't look like kag79 was using syncing to begin with, so that wasn't the cause of this.
  • thanks Dan-
    @kag79 - I'd recommend using data syncing--both in case you do want to access your library online and/or on another machine and because it gives you another layer of back-up, but that's obviously up to you.

No idea then, though, how this could have happened.
  • Dear AdamSmith and Kag79,

I'm having a similar problem. I did a routine Firefox update and it seems to have removed a lot of my Zotero files. I had to re-input my username and password to sync, but even when it repopulated y folders, it wasn't everything. Most stuff is there, but there were subfolders, for example, in the folder "Pedagogy" and in the sub-sub-folder Newspapers, there were hundreds of newspaper records (for my dissertation). When I check online, the library looks like the one in Firefox, not the one I had up until two days ago. I'm of course terrified that all those newspaper records are gone. I've done the squilite maneuver, but that didn't help.

Can you help? Thank so much!

Zach
  • Indeed, as soon as I posted that comment, I realized it was for the standalone version. I've now done the other steps ("storage.old") but when I opened the folder that Firefox had generated, there was no “zotero.sqlite” file. I've recopied everything into the directory, minus the “zotero.sqlite” file, and it's re-synced, but with the same results: about 80% of the files are there, the rest are still missing.

If there is something else I can do, can you let me know? Thanks again!
  • what exactly is in the folder "Old Firefox data" and in the "zotero" folder within it?
  • The "Old Firefox Data" folder is on the desktop (where Firefox put it automatically), and then there is a folder inside of it called "nbjshfv6.default," and then inside that is the Zotero folder.
  • OK, good so far -- and what exactly is in the Zotero folder? It'd be very odd if there weren't a zotero.sqlite file.
  • I hope I didn't screw this up because I had done the fix for the standalone before, though I hadn't touched the Old Firefox Data folder anyway. When I opened tht folder I found the following:
    -locate (a folder)
    -storage (a folder)
    -pdfinfo-Win32 (an application)
    -pdfinfo-Win32.exe.version (a Version file)
    -pdftotext-Win32 (an application)
    -pdftotext-Win32.exe.version (a Version file)

That was it, no squil files.
  • have you tried show hidden files in that folder?
  • I just tried that too, and no new files appeared.
  • Is there anything else I could try: I have many files, but all of the ones that I've pulled into Zotero in the last eight months (for my dissertation) are not there. My understanding of the Firefox version of Zotero (vis-a'-vis the standalone) is hazy as a non-computer expert, but weren't all of the files stored both on my computer and in the cloud? I assume they are still in one of the two places, but that there is some "directory" issue? Also, can I add new files to a temporary folder while I try to resolve this issue? Is there another discussion that may shed some light on this? I'm happy to read through more ideas on how to fix this.
    Thanks again, Zach