How do I uninstall the Word plugin?

Sorry if the answer to this is really easy, but I tried searching this forum and didn't find any matching threads.

So, I'm happy with having Zotero limited to just my FF, and I'd like to uninstall the Word plugin. It's not working properly (when I try to add citation, it only brings up like one item, like an author's name, for example, and nothing else), and I don't care enough to bother trouble-shooting it. It also takes up extra space in my word toolbar area. So, how do I completely purge the Word plugin from my system?

Thanks.
  • edited August 20, 2008
    To uninstall the plugin, all you have to do is to remove the Zotero.dot file from the startup folder of Word. You can either just search your hard drive for Zotero.dot, or look for it in the right folder:

Where to find this plugin file under Windows:
    http://www.zotero.org/documentation/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions

Where to find this plugin file under Mac OS X:
    /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Startup/Word

P.S. I'm not sure I totally understand your problem with the plugin, but it seems to me you either just used a style that doesn't suite you (some styles include more information in the citation itself than others), or you didn't include a bibliography in your Word document (you can do this with the "Zotero Insert Bibliography"-button from the Zotero toolbar, which generates a list with all the information of the cited items as required by the selected style). Different styles can be selected within Word with the "Zotero Set Doc Prefs"-button, and you can preview styles (and find new ones) at http://www.zotero.org/styles .
  • Awesome, thank you. Thanks for your other suggestions, too, for solving my issue(s) with the plugin. I'll look into it again some other time to try to get it right , and then I'll remember to refer to your suggestions. For now, though, I'm good to go. Thanks.
  • How do I uninstall the plugin from my mac word 2008?

I mucked up the settings and wanted to start fresh, so uninstalled firefox all the addons, but zotero still exists in my mac word 2008 scripts menu.
  • Hi, i tried to install zotero on word 2013, it doesn't work, when i open word it shows an error message "the macros aren't enabled" and doesn't able to add citations, so i installed word 2010 without uninstall the 2013 version, but it doesn't work neither. Now i'm trying to uninstall zotero to reinstall it, i used the uninstall application on the control panel, and i erased the remnant files on the hard drive, but the plugin still appears on word, and shows the same error message. How i correct this problem?

Thanks for your Help
  • no me aparece la bibliografia
  • uninstallation of the program still left the zotero add-in in word 2016. even going to file/options/add-ins/manage word add-ins doesn't allow me to remove it. i can hide zotero by unloading it (unchecking the boxes), but I'd rather be able to completely remove it.
  • You can remove zotero.dotm (zotero.dot on Mac) from your Word startup folder. I believe this should normally happen automatically, but it doesn't always. See here on finding the start-up folder:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions#locating_your_word_startup_folder