How to import a collection into my Zotero Group

Hello. Can anybody tell me where can I find information on how to export one of my library collections into my Zotero Group? I've just spent the most discouraging afternoon being unable to add not even an item to this new group --I simply do not find the icon or commandment for importing anythin.

Eternally grateful in advance,

Cantave
  • Once you sync, groups appear at the bottom of the left hand panel in Zotero. You can simply drag&drop items as well as whole collections from your library to the group.
  • Thanks, Adam, but I'm not sure I understang what you're saying.

You mean after I log in at Zotero Standalone? I haven't found this "Groups" at the bottom of any section; not in "My library" nor in "Home". Not on Zotero for Firefox either.

May I ask you to be more specific?

Thanks a lot,

Cantave
  • It sounds like you're not actually using (or at least looking at) Zotero Standalone. Zotero Standalone is a program that you need to install and run (from zotero.org/download ). If you're looking at a webpage (the one with "Home" "My Library" etc.) you're looking at the wrong place. (The same is true for Zotero for Firefox, which is also not tied to any webpage).
    If you haven't already, install the program, sync
    https://www.zotero.org/support/sync
    and the groups will appear at the bottom left.
  • Oh, I see it now! I reformatted my hard disk and didn't reinstall ZS. Many thanks, Adam!!
  • Hi, I am wondering if I can piggy back on this question. I have zotero standalone and my classmate successfully invited me to join her zotero group library. I was able to join and turn syncing on and now I see her shared library on the left side of my screen under "Group Libraries." I can click on individual folders and see what is inside each one. However, I can't add anything to the group library! When I attempt to add a new citation from, say World Cat or Jstor, I'll select the folder in the group library that I want the citation to be added to (as I would normally do in my personal library). I'll click the little zotero icon I have in my browser, and at the bottom of the page I see the little pop up that is saying that the citation is being saved to the selected folder -- however, I DOES NOT show up in that folder! I can successfully save a citation to any of my personal folders, but not any group folder. I also cannot drag any citation from a personal folder into a group folder. Is there any setting I need to change -- or perhaps the creator of the group library needs to alter a setting? Any advice would be most appreciated!
  • Can you click on the green plus sign to manually add an item to the group? If not (as I suspect is the case), the issue is that you don't have edit rights to the group library and you should talk to your classmate, who can either extend edit rights to members or make you an administrator in the group's settings.
  • Dear Adam,
    Wow, I wish I had submitted my question earlier and saved myself an hour of trouble! This must be the issue. The green plus sign is greyed out in group libraries -- I clearly don't have editing rights!
    Thank you!
  • In general, it's a bit odd to me that the default settings when creating a group are so restrictive, when, I feel like, most people creating a group intend collaboration. I suppose it's the safest option, which is ok, but I think these settings should be displayed during group creation, rather than having to figure them out afterwards.
  • I think I agree. Also, better error messages would help a lot: both a hover over the new item button "No editing rights for group library" and a visible error message when trying to save to a library w/o editing rights (I thought the latter was actually in place? Does that now work correctly?).
  • OK, we made some changes here. The site now goes directly to the library settings page after group creation, and it defaults to allowing item and file editing.

I think having three different settings pages for groups is unnecessarily confusing and we should have a single page, perhaps with tabs, but that's a project for later.
    a visible error message when trying to save to a library w/o editing rights (I thought the latter was actually in place? Does that now work correctly?).
    That happens in Zotero for Firefox. Might not do that via the connectors.