display problem

I am using Firefox 22.0, updated to 2013.7
and the version of zetero is 4.0.20.1

I could not remember when it started, should be quite recently, but it is really annoying problem.
Hope somebody could help me out.

Description of the problem.
Usually, we click the zotero icon on the right bottom corner. And the zotero would rise up, take part of the screen windows. We can drag the edge to change the proportion it may take, or click the cross on the right up corner to close it.

In my case, the zotero could be drag down (reduce the display part) or closed. But it will leave a grey part, which could not display the website again !
I am not sure wheter I discribed the problem clearly, so I pasted a screenshot on Flickr. Please clik the link shown below:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124178221@N04/13888539647/

Many thanks everybody ~!
  • Firefox 22 is out of date and likely insecure. You should upgrade to the latest version, either 29 or 24 ESR.
  • Thanks for your concern and kind suggestion.

But sorry to say, it did not work on my laptop.
    I have just tried to update the firefox to 29.0, and the zotero is still 4.0.20.1

And the screen shot is shown in the list link.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/124178221@N04/14095467953/

Actually, I have two computer, one is laptop, the other one is desktop. These two computers were installed and customised samely, but do not know why this weird problem only happened on my laptop.
  • Disable all your other Firefox extensions — it's almost certainly caused by a conflict with one of them (and has been before).
  • I can reproduce this error: Open Zotero in FF, make the portion for Zotero larger, make the portion for Zotero smaller and see the grey stripe (at least I can see it).

(Deactivating all other FF extension did not help)

If I open Zotero again and make it really large and then close it, the screen will be normal again.
  • Can you both provide a Report ID if possible after triggering this (with other extensions disabled)?
  • same on Linux with pre-29 Firefox version.
  • Report ID: D930047181
  • Report ID, not Debug ID
  • (doesn't that give you the report at the top?)
  • edited April 30, 2014
    Report IDs contain extension/theme info that Debug IDs don't, for some technical reason that we can probably fix at some point. (I know zuphilip says that disabling other extensions doesn't help, but we ask for reports for a reason. Trust but verify, etc.)
  • No need for another id, though — Faolan confirms that "resizing is all kinds of broken" on Linux, so we can take it from here.
  • Sorry, I had to search for the right German label for that...

Does this looks as a report ID: 236061209
  • Oops, this actually isn't specific to Linux at all — it's a new bug in 4.0.20 that happens on all platforms. Should be fixed now in the latest 4.0 Beta, and we'll put out a 4.0.20.2 tonight that includes the fix.
  • I have wasted several hours to try to tame my firefox and zotero. Sorry to say it is vain.

Background
    operating system: WINDOWS XP
    browser : firefox 22.0, also have tried latest one 29.0
    zotero : 4.0.20.1

Description:
    due to some special chemical softwares only could run in XP system, and also I have get used to it. So still have not updated to WIN 7 or WIN 8. And since everything works OK, so there is no excuse to update it.

Until quite recently, I met the grey strip problem.
    About Dan Stillman mentioned "Report ID", sorry to say the "Report errors..." button is grey, not usable, which indicate the problem is likely from the firefox.

And I have tried to update firefox and zotero.xpi for firefox to latest version. But it does not help.

Also, I have tired to uninstall the firefox (includ the customerization) completely, and reinstall the old version of firefox (just hope it could work as past), and install the old version of zoter.xpi.
    But, very frustrated, the problem is still there! Even I disabled all of other firefox extension, it is still there!!!

Thanks to Zuphilip, I think the method he/she mentioned maybe is the only way to get it work now, eventhough the problem is not solved.

Hope I have made a concise and clear discription.
    Hope my discription would be useful and helpful for some technicians.
    At last, hope it would be solved as soon as possible.

By the way, sorry to say I do not like the whole-blue-style of the latest firefox 29.0. The brightly tabs are easily mixed together could not be easily recognised. Or maybe just because I still haven't got used to it.
  • Um, snake, see my previous message — we identified the problem and fixed it already in the latest beta, and we're putting out a fixed release version tonight.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can always fix this temporarily simply by restarting Firefox.
  • As Dan says, this is fixed now, you can wait for the next Zotero version or install the beta from https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds
  • Thanks to Dan Stillman for your prompt reply, kind advices and light speed update :)

Thanks to adamsmith for you pasting a link for me :)

Thanks everybody for joining in this talk :)
  • Fixed now in 4.0.20.2.
  • Thank you. It seems to work when I open Zotero only, but in combination with Firebug there is a (new?) problem. If I open Firebug, make it larger and smaller a grey stripe will occur. The grey stripe will stay between Zotero and Firebug (if both are opened), see https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59474281/Grey-Stripe-Error.jpg . The same is not true if I deactivate the Zotero plugins. Is this error reproducible?
  • @Dan: Can you reproduce my new problem (described above) in combination with Firebug?
  • Sorry, missed your message earlier. Our earlier fix didn't account for the possibility of another pane below Zotero. This should now be fixed in the latest 4.0 Beta.