Sync stopped working and can't see the local library on one computer

I seem to have lost all content on my work computer in the past several weeks. I cannot sync and restore it either. The library is on the server and I can see it from the computer at home. I've reinstalled the zotero app. twice and I still nothing.
  • I cannot sync and restore it either.
    We need more details about what exactly you mean here.

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • I'm on zotero 4.0.19, iMAC OS 10.9.2.
    When I turn on zotero. The main window has no content.
    I hit the sync button, the same.
    I retype the user, password, unclick auto sync, reclick auto sync, the same.
    I restore local content, the same.
    The sync icon does not rotate and are no messages.
  • The main window has no content.
    OK, but what happened before you found yourself with an empty library? That doesn't really just happen on its own.
    I restore local content, the same.
    If you're referring to Restore from Zotero Server, that's not meant to be used for troubleshooting.

Your current account doesn't seem to have been synced in over a month.

Start here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
  • Nothing that is related to zotero. I think the computer went through system updates and reboots. I installed zshell through dotfiles many underbelly things got changed.
  • I don't think the problem is sync alone. The main window does not seem to function. I can't create a new folder from the button on the main window or from the top bar on the OS. I can't import a library from the button. From the top bar, it calls up a new window to look for a local file to import, but don't want to blindly import and overwrite the server copy.
  • I don't think the problem is sync alone. The main window does not seem to function.
    OK, that's likely.

This is Zotero Standalone? If so, check for a startup error.
  • You can also try to generate real-time debug output for Zotero startup, save it to a text file, and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • (Alternatively, you might be able to just provide a Debug ID using the "Enable after restart" option, which is easier, but that may not work if Zotero is mostly broken.)
  • Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/chrome.manifest'.
    While creating services from category 'profile-after-change', could not create service for entry 'Disk Space Watcher Service', contract ID '@mozilla.org/toolkit/disk-space-watcher;1'
    Timestamp: 4/24/14, 4:11:40 PM
    Error: NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: Cannot call openModalWindow on a hidden window
    Source File: resource://gre/components/nsPrompter.js
    Line: 382
  • Please provide the actual Debug/Report ID after submitting debug/error log to the server. There is generally more information that gets submitted to Zotero servers.
  • edited April 24, 2014
    Those are actually startup errors from the console, as I requested. But a Debug ID or real-time debug output would be helpful.
  • How do I do that? Where would it write the log files? The jsconsole output is the only thing that worked. Debug to terminal had no screen output.
  • edited April 24, 2014
    If there's no output you're doing something wrong. Try either or both of the instructions I linked to. Even if major things are broken, it's not possible to reach the main Zotero window without there being debug output.
  • I don't think so. This disappearing output happens a lot in java programs running on mac OS.
    Thank you for you help so far. I really have to go today. I'll pick this up tomorrow.
    Good night.
  • edited April 24, 2014
    Zotero isn't a Java program. We know what we're talking about. If you follow one or both of the instructions correctly, you'll get debug output, and that's the only way we'll be able to help you further.
  • OK, sorry, the command line in the real-time debug output may not have been correct for OS X. (This still doesn't have anything to do with Java, though — the instructions on that page were just incorrect for current versions of Zotero.) I've updated that section with a different command line. Assuming you can't generate a Debug ID, see if you have better luck with what's there now. You can email the output to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • The debug output:

zotero(3)(+0000000): Initialized in 157 ms

zotero(3)(+0000141): Setting mode to note

zotero(3)(+0000001): Setting mode to note

zotero(3)(+0000000): Setting mode to note

zotero(4)(+0000000): Registering observer for [item-tag,setting] in notifier with hash xm'

zotero(3)(+0000027): ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Communication server listening on 127.0.0.1:23116

zotero(3)(+0000000): ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Registering shutdown listener
  • I think you just copied what was visible instead of doing a Select All? There should be more than what you sent. Try again, but either press Cmd-A to Select All before copying or just go press Cmd-S to save the full contents of the window to a text file and email it.
  • Shin@Shins-iMac ~ $ /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero-bin /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/application.ini -zoterodebug [ruby-2.0.0-p0]

Shin@Shins-iMac ~ $ /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero-bin /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/application.ini -zoterodebug [ruby-2.0.0-p0]
    zotero(3)(+0000000): Initialized in 157 ms

zotero(3)(+0000141): Setting mode to note

zotero(3)(+0000001): Setting mode to note

zotero(4)(+0000000): Registering observer for [item-tag,setting] in notifier with hash xm'

zotero(3)(+0000027): ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Communication server listening on 127.0.0.1:23116

zotero(3)(+0000000): ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Registering shutdown listener
  • The previous one is after select all. Further if I click on the preference button, new zotero window appears but no new output in the terminal.
  • OK, thanks — we can reproduce this when the Zotero data directory is missing. We're working on a fix for the proper error message not appearing, which it's supposed to, but you'll need to figure out where your data directory is and point Zotero there from the Advanced -> Files and Folders pane of the preferences, which you should still be able to access via the gear menu in the Zotero toolbar.
  • If you're not sure, and you're using syncing, it's probably also a good idea to disable auto-sync from the Sync pane of the preferences before changing the data directory setting.
  • Thanks I got it. Firefox auto updated and put everything that was in the "Application support" on to my Desktop calling it "Old Firefox Data". Zotero was looking for the old profile directory.
    I moved everything in to the Documents directory and pointed all Zotero standalone and Firefox to that directory.