Change the "date" field

I need to order items by date (of publication), but currently Zotero only saves the year of a reference and not the month or date. Is there a way to manually add the exact date in the "date" field and if yes, what format should I use (e.g. DD-MM-YYYY)?
  • you can just type the date in. Zotero accepts a lot of different formats, but of all of them DD-MM-YYYY is the worst, because it's ambiguous between US and other date standards (remember the US uses MM-DD-YYYY).
    The safest is to use ISO dates, i.e. YYYY-MM-DD, but things like "15 Jun 2012" "December 15, 2001" etc. will work, too. I'm not sure if dates in French (i.e. something like "23 février 2005") will work on a French installation of Zotero, you'd have to try. Where applicable, Zotero also understands "today", "yesterday" and "tomorrow" (those I'm pretty sure in English only).
  • Thank you very much for your reply! Indeed, I tried and it works with a lot of different formats.
  • The YMD at the end of the field tells you in which order they are recognized when you're in doubt.
  • oh, and finally - Zotero saves as much of a date for any reference it can - if you have an example where the full date is on the page and Zotero only picks up the year we may be able to fix that, just provide a URL.
  • I'm not sure if dates in French (i.e. something like "23 février 2005") will work on a French installation of Zotero
    It does work, except with Z standalone (which can be very annoying).