Sync, file addition, & update check problem

Hi,
I have been having a number of problems with Zotero in the last month or so. I think they are probably all related:
(1) Whenever Zotero tries to sync, there is this error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection."
The following is included in the error report, which I can't submit because "Invalid response from repository" during submission:

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP HEAD http://zotero.org.s3.amazonaws.com/proxy-auth failed: Unexpected status code 0" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/http.js" line: 509}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to proxy -- proxied requests may not work"]

[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: recentWindow.openUILinkIn is not a function" {file: "chrome://global/content/contentAreaUtils.js" line: 1107}]

(2) When I check for updates, I get this error message:
"Proxy server connection refused"

(3) I have not been able to add new item with doi (it was possible before).

Please let me know what I can do to resolve these problems.
Thank you for your help.
  • Right, those error message pretty much mean what they say — your system is configured to use a proxy server, and Zotero isn't able to connect through it.

If you're not trying to use a proxy server, open your system proxy settings and clear anything that's enabled.

If you are, for some reason it's not accepting connections through Zotero Standalone. (I assume that's what this is.) But let's confirm the above before continuing.
  • Thank you for your reply.

I just changed my LAN proxy setting by disabling the proxy server. Zotero seems to sync OK right now..

I am not sure why or when the proxy server was enabled in the first place. I don't recall making any changes and I am guessing when I used to be able to sync before, the proxy server was not enabled?

Is there a way to use proxy with Zotero Standalone, and is this preferable?

Thank you for your help.
  • Zotero should work via most proxy servers, but the proxy server has to actually work. I'd guess that whatever settings you had there were no longer valid.
  • Ok, I see. Thanks again.