Entry in FF Zotero not available for citation in MS Word

2 days ago, I entered a new citation in Zotero using FF. I typed it in manually and saved it. I can still see it and search for it in FF Zotero. I don't use the standalone zotero.

I am using MS Word for Mac 2008. When I try to cite the item that I entered into Zotero, it will not come up. I can't bring it up using either the author or title. I can't find it in the little bar that pops up or in the Classic view. Suggestions?

On another note, how long of a delay should I expect between entering something in Zotero on FF and being able to cite it in MS Word?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • There should be no delay. Can you see other items? Please produce a Debug ID for trying to find the item in question through the Word plugin.
  • Yes, I can see other items. I also entered items by other authors in the last couple of days and I was finally able to cite them but it was after a delay of a couple of hours. I'm working on producing the Debut ID. I don't see a little gear, so I've got to look into how to do that.
  • Ok, I think I understand what's going on. Are you looking at your library on zotero.org? You should be looking at it in the Zotero pane on Firefox (click the Zotero icon in the lower right of the Firefox window). If you can't see it, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_status_bar_icon

If you open the pane and you can't find the item. Click the sync button (green circular arrow at the top right of the pane). If you get a red exclamation mark or you still don't see the item after sync completes, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
  • This time, when I got set up for the debug ID, it worked and the citation was there! I realized that I had entered the info on the website instead of in the 1/2 pane that pops up from the lower half of FF. Would that have made the difference?
  • Yes, when you enter info on the website, it has to sync to your local database (you cite from your local database). Sync is usually quite frequent, but it won't happen until you open the Zotero pane.
  • Yes, you are right. And because I'm working on a "new to me" computer, I'd forgotten to install the add-on. So, the pane wasn't coming up, and I was looking at it on the website. Thanks again.