Snapshot not captured

I would appreciate your thoughts as to why I only get data with the snapshot feature. There is no image of the webpage attached. And, as expected, the URL that is captured leads only to the current webpage.

I've tried to capture snaphots from a couple of ways -- with the preference setting (stand alone version) set to automatically capture them and also from the webpage itself with the Zotero tool (once stand alone is closed). Nothing either way.

I would like to archive an image of some webpages -- can you suggest ideas for what is going wrong and how to fix?

Thanks.

Karen
  • So what exactly happens when you add a snapshot? You don't get an attached snapshot at all? (and are you sure you are actually expanding the item by clicking on the little triangle/arrow to its left)?
    Has this ever worked for you? (I'm partly asking to see whether something is actually broken for you or you're just misunderstanding/not seeing something).
  • Hi, I also have this issue. Running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit

Here are the steps to reproduce for me:

1) Open Zotero standalone (v 4.0.20)
    2) Open Chrome (or Firefox; results are the same for me in both) [most recent versions of both browsers]
    3) Navigate to a page that I want to save
    4) Right click page and choose "Save Zotero snapshot..." option (same results if I use the icon in the navigation bar or the bookmarklet)
    5) Wait for notification window to disappear
    6) Tab into Zotero standalone
    7) Navigate to entry that was just saved
    8) Expand the entry
    9) Single click snapshot under entry

I merely get an info box on the right side of the page with Title, URL, filename, accessed, modified, indexed, related, & tags, and a white edit box that I can type things into below that.

I have "Automatically take snapshots whn creating items from web pages" set in the preferences and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program.

Honestly, I didn't realize that Zotero *took* snapshots of pages until I was reading the forums; it's never worked for me since I started using it 4 weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • @xtoq - I'm not quite sure what you're expecting? This sounds like everything is working correctly. If you double click the snapshot it'll open the archived version of the webpage.
  • So all the snapshot does is save the URL of the page? I was expecting something more along the lines of Evernote that would save an actual snapshot of the page itself.

If that's the expected behavior, then things are working fine for me. =D I'll probably end up switching back to Flow and Evernote though, if I have to end up saving my files in Evernote anyway.

Thank you for the prompt response!
  • Except, the help documentation says that "A snapshot is a locally stored copy of a web page in the same state as it was when it was saved. Snapshots are available without an internet connection."

So...pardon my confusion, but could you please clarify which it is? Does it save a snapshot of the page, or save just the URL?
  • it does archive a copy of the page. Open it by double-clicking on the snapshot.
  • Double-clicking the snapshot does nothing. Triple clicking does nothing. I'm afraid to quadruple click! ;D
  • that would be odd. Make sure it didn't just open in your browser in the background. If it doesn't, right-click on the snapshot and select "Show File" --> What do you see?
  • Okay, when I right click and choose "Show File" it opens up the Zotero storage folder in my Users folder, which has what seems to be all the resources from the web page I saved. When I double click the, in my case, "index.html" file, it *does* open in Firefox, as expected.

Perhaps I need to uninstall and reinstall again? Should I try it with a fresh Firefox profile as well? Could it simply be some weird FF thing?
  • no, re-installing rarely helps with anything.

Provide a debug ID for double-clicking the snapshot file:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

If you have security software installed, you could also try temporarily disabling it, see if that makes a difference.