Sorting references out by order of reference in word document

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to sort out references by the order as in the bibliography (ie. order of reference) in a word document?

The best surrogate I have thus far is by sorting by date added. However, after editing, this may change and become messy again.

Thanks!
  • you mean you want to sort the reference in Zotero by the order you have them cited in a document? That's not possible. I'm also not sure how that'd even work conceptually - presumably you can cite items in different order in different docs - how would that work?
    Or am I misunderstanding your question?
  • hey,

actually that's what I meant. I've been creating new collections for the different papers I'm writing and adding the references accordingly - then citing them into the word document. There aren't any overlaps so far. it's not a big deal - i'm working with a colleague and arranging by order of citation would just be a lot more convenient to check and edit our document
  • edited April 18, 2014
    I don't think there will be an automated way to accomplish that, unfortunately. But how many references are you working with? If you had to, you could always insert each reference's order value into the "Extra" field. You could then sort on Extra to see the references in order. Of course, any citation changes in the document will need to be manually updated in Zotero too.