proxies not being detected

Hello. I access journals from home through the website of my University. It is my understanding that zotero should detect that I am using a proxy to access a given journal. In Zotero preferences my proxy box is empty. Zotero does not seem to notice I am using a proxy. Is there a way to help or just to "motivate" zotero to notice I am using a proxy? Am I missing some checkbox I would need to check? I use Windows7 and Firefox28. Thanks for any help I could get.
  • Make sure you _don't_ have Zotero Standalone open. Zotero's proxy recognition only works with just Zotero for Firefox running.

In the proxy tab of the Zotero preferences, check that both "Enable Proxy..." and "Automatically recognize..." are checked (the 3rd checkbox is irrelevant)

If neither helps:
    What does a proxied URL look like?
  • Thanks Adam. I only use firefox zotero, no standalone. The options you mentioned are both checked in proxy preferences. The proxied URL is this:
    http://proxy.library.upenn.edu:2057/journal/jacsat
  • when you hover over the Zotero URL bar icon on that page, what does it say? (Something like "Save to Zotero...")
  • Hi Adam. When I hover over the right end of the url it does indeed say Save to Zotero. After clicking a pop up box shows asking me to select (check) which one of a long list of papers do I want to download.
  • I know it says "Save to Zotero" - the question is what it says after that in parentheses.
  • Save to Zotero...(ACS Publications)
  • edited April 13, 2014
    Could you submit a Debug ID, which encompasses reloading the page and then clicking the URL bar icon?
  • The Debug ID is D1478862042.
  • (3)(+0006110): Proxies.proxyToProper: http://proxy.library.upenn.edu:2057/journal/jacsat to http://pubs.acs.org/journal/jacsat

(3)(+0000000): Translators: Looking for translators for http://pubs.acs.org/journal/jacsat

(4)(+0000028): Translate: Binding sandbox to http://proxy.library.upenn.edu:2057/journal/jacsat

(4)(+0000005): Translate: Parsing code for ACS Publications

(4)(+0000007): Translate: Parsing code for unAPI

(4)(+0000002): Translate: Parsing code for COinS

(4)(+0000002): Translate: Parsing code for DOI

(4)(+0000006): Translate: Parsing code for Embedded Metadata

(3)(+0000005): Translate: Embedded Metadata: found 6 meta tags.

(3)(+0000000): Translate: All translator detect calls and RPC calls complete

(5)(+0000000): Translate: Running handler 0 for translators

(4)(+0001549): Translate: Parsing code for ACS Publications

(3)(+0000003): Translate: Beginning translation with ACS Publications

(5)(+0000026): Translate: Running handler 0 for select
  • My mistake.

@emorales could you make sure that the debug log covers everything up through the error message? (It seems that you stopped the debug log when the Zotero item selection window popped up, which is technically what I asked for)
  • @aurimas - I don't think there's an error message. The problem is that the proxy doesn't get added for auto-redirection, not that import fails.
  • So you mean that an option to add a proxy to Zotero is not popping up?
  • that's how I understand this yes:
    In Zotero preferences my proxy box is empty. Zotero does not seem to notice I am using a proxy.
  • Adam and Aurimas, thanks for looking into my issue. Yes, just to confirm; the add proxy to Zotero is not popping up.
    I just have this simple idea, could it be that firefox28 is stopping the popup?
  • Isn't that URL already proxied, judging by the debug output?
  • right, but shouldn't Zotero recognize this and add it to the list of proxies?
  • emorales: Can you disable your other Firefox extensions, open the Proxies pane of the preferences, confirm that it's still empty, and then provide a Report ID?
  • I can do that. But I am embarrassed to say I do not know what a Firefox extension is, nor know where to find them.
  • Zotero is a Firefox extension - as is adblock plus etc. You may call them "add-ons". They're under Tools(or the Firefox button on the top left)-->add-ons --> extensions.
  • Thank you, I only have Zotero enabled in Firefox extentions, it has been like that always.

The proxy box is empty. The report id was just submitted.
  • edited April 14, 2014
    You need to post the number here.
    Thanks.
  • @Dan - did you get anything from that error report?
  • No, there are no Zotero errors in there.
  • I may have a related problem with slightly different symptoms. My Debug ID is D1903689951 and all I captured was Zotero parsing a webpage that is accessed through my library's proxy. In this case, I frequently encounter an error where the page fails to load. Specifically, the browser (Firefox 29.0.1) appears to have completed the transfer but the page is completely blank. Sometimes a menu bar asking me if Zotero should save the proxy for future use flashes briefly near the top but then disappears. In the Zotero Preferences "Proxies" tab I have both "Enable proxy redirection" and "Automatically recognized proxied resources" checked and the "Configured Proxies" listing is completely blank.

After hitting "Refresh" about 3 times I ultimately get the requested page. Note that if I _disable_ "Enable proxy redirection" the page loads up just fine without any issues.

I do have "NoScript" 2.6.8.25 extension installed but I have whitelisted the appropriate website. I have not yet checked to see if disabling NoScript would change the behavior as it appears to be a random error to pops up at times.

I'm posting this mostly to see if there is anything that may help others since I'm very comfortable just disabling the feature.
  • Harold: Better to start a new thread for this.
  • Apologies for resurrecting this thread, I had a similar problem, and disabling the zotfile plugin +restarting firefox fixed it.