Removing PDFs to free up space

I want to get rid of all the PDFs I have synced to my library, but keep the relevant citation information. If I use the purge tool, will it delete all my citations? Thanks!
  • edited March 26, 2014
    Do not use the purge button. It doesn't do what you think it does. If you want to get rid of PDFs, just delete the attachment items in Zotero itself.
  • so I have to delete each and every PDF manually?
  • (though it's unclear what exactly you're trying to do. If the problem is just that you don't want to sync PDFs and other files any more, you can simply turn off file syncing in the sync tab of the Zotero preferences).
  • you can do an advanced search for "Attachment FIle Type --is --- PDF"
    Create a saved search, in that saved search select all (ctrl+a or cmd+a on a mac) and the right-click --> move items to trash. Note that while the saved search will also contain the items to which the PDFs are attached, select all will only select the attachments.
  • Thanks! I'm just trying to free up online storage space, since I get an error now when syncing that says my account is full.
  • just turn off file syncing if you don't care about having the files synced. It would be a pity to delete your attachments locally.
  • I'm having the same problem (reached my 300 mb limit). Can I see which PDFs are stored online and remove select PDFs from online storage?
  • no - there is no easy way to see which PDFs are synced and which aren't (syncing to another computer and sorting by the attachment column would work, though, I believe).
    But even if you do that, you can't pick which PDFs are stored online. If you actually delete a PDF online that change will sync and it will also be deleted locally.

So your three options are
    1. Pay for Zotero storage
    2. Switch to using WebDAV for file sync
    3. Disable file sync
  • hi,

My name is Chang. I would also like to free up some storage space. I exported My Library as Zotero RDF, including Export Files and Export Notes. They are 1GB. I thought that deleting PDF attachments, which I added by "add stored copy of file", and keeping the attachment links to the zotero items, which I added by "add link to file" may be a good way to go. I then performed an advanced search for "Attachment FIle Type --is --- PDF" as adamsmith instructed. However, items with either the attachment links or the stored files appear on the search result. How may I just delete the stored attachments without affecting the links and whatever bibliographical information? It would be great if I do not have to manually delete attachments item by item.

Thanks
  • no, you can't distinguish between linked and stored files in a search, sorry.
  • Adam Smith's recommendation was successful in deleting all attached PDFs (NB: it did not delete any entries to which PDFs were attached). It seems to have cleared up about 750mb, which gives me a bit more cloud storage for other things, so thanks!
  • Now I just need to figure out how to delete snapshot info from my library.
  • If you want to delete Snapshots and PDFs--what do you need cloud storage for?
  • edited September 25, 2014
    Good question.

Having my Zotero entries in a local folder that syncs to cloud storage just increases the amount of places I have my data. My PDFs are also in this cloud storage. I manage them manually in order to have more fine-grained control over the folder structure, filenames, and (Mac) Spotlight searchability. Also, having my PDFs stored manually allows me to view them without having to use Zotero (which, no offense, still fails to offer fullscreen or a non-imposing UI—you could call me persnickity).

That being said, if all of my backup drives at home fail, I will not have lost my bibliographies or the PDFs to which each bibliography item corresponds (or their organization)—potentially my greatest digital assets.

Don't get me wrong, Zotero is a hugely helpful research tool, but I do not need everything it offers and I sometimes want more control than it permits.
  • you can use Zotero in whatever way it's useful for you. If you were to only use it for cooking recipes I don't have any problems with that.

Only thing I want to avoid is that people delete PDFs (or other files) from their local Zotero because they don't understand that you can simply turn off file syncing to prevent going over your Zotero file storage quota. That doesn't seem to be the case for you. (Though I'm mildly worried by your mention of having the Zotero folder in cloud storage--if you're accessing said storage from multiple computers, that's highly discouraged, irregardless of attachments).
  • Dear adamsmith,
    I was having the same problem as schustem, I don't have more zotero free online storage space, so I can't attach any files.
    I tried to do what you said with my Zotero standalone. I unchecked all the options of syncing (sync full-text content and the file syncing). But when I try to add a file from pubmed, for example, the information abot the file is downloaded to my library, but no attachments (no snapshots, no pdf). The file then has a hollow circle next to it. I want to do as you said, to stop syncing and just store my files on my computer.
    Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
  • Well, I also have the same issue with lack of space. Adam says that turning off the sync will do the trick, but in this case, my account is already out of storage. Would turning off the sync remove the pdfs attachments online so that I can then have space to store reference information; or should I assume that as long as am not syncing Pdf attachments, there is not limit to the number of references I can have in a Zotero basic account?
  • Whether you sync attachments or not, the amount of metadata you can sync is unlimited. Once you hit the storage quota for attachments though, Zotero may exhibit some slower behavior when trying to sync, so we suggest turning off just the attachment syncing in that case.
  • Thanks Aurimas for the feedback; well as I have also read that it is possible to save the pdf attachments either on the local hard drive or an cloud storage such as drop box of google drive instead of Zotero servers. Some posts I have read also say that it is possible then to use zotfile to achieve this purpose. However, when I tried working this process out, I could only change the location of the data file, but could not get pdfs on drive. Could I be doing anything wrong; or is this even possible? In short, I want to be able to free space on Zotero (am already out of space). Then, I would like to have those pdfs on cloud storage so that they are available on my second computer (even if they could appear as links). Would appreciate any help; or any suggestions
  • However, when I tried working this process out, I could only change the location of the data file, but could not get pdfs on drive.
    Please describe the steps you have taken so far.

If your goal is to just sync file attachments across devices and you do not want to upgrade your zotero.org storage, your best option is using a third-party WebDAV provider. https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/webdav_services

The option you refer to above is generally not recommended unless you have a reason to use it.
  • thanks to Adam Smith,
    I just followed the instructions and it worked. Deleting the pdfs alone didn't do the job in my case, so I also deleted all the snapshots. I am down to 0.1mb now from previously almost exeeding my 2gb storage plan (which has expired today).

New question though: How do I go back to my 300mb free storage plan? It does not let me select that option.
  • PS.: a correction - my 2gb storage plan has not yet expired I realize - only in 2 days. Will it then automatically jump to the 300mb plan? Also 0.1mb is so little, that I am really worried that I might have deleted more than just snapshots and pdfs....
  • Yes, your storage will automatically revert to the 300 MB free plan.

Your storage quota only includes attached files, so if you delete all your attachments you would see 0 MB of storage being used while your metadata is still there.
  • Hi Similar question to above, but slightly different,...maybe?

I have also ran out of storage. I use sync so that my references and notes are available online and one home and work computers, so don't want to turn it off (unless i have misunderstood what it is necessary for).

I don't need to store pdfs or snapshots, so would be happy to purge the storage if that is all that is in there BUT I make lots of notes on each reference that I don't want to lose at all - I can't seem to work out if these are also kept in the storage directory?

I'd be grateful for any clarifications,
  • you can just turn off file sync in the preferences. Your notes and references will still be available. I wouldn't delete any files.
  • Thanks, hopefully that will do it then!
  • Hi! I've read through all of this (and many other sources), and it's very helpful, but I want to echo pmusinguzi's question above, because I'm still a bit confused: Is there anything I can do if my storage is already full? I've unchecked file syncing, but how can I remove the PDFs already on the Zotero server without also deleting them locally? I'd be very grateful for any help with this; I can't seem to wrap my brain around it. Thanks!

Dan
  • You typically wouldn't need to remove the PDFs from the server. Why do you want to?

But if it's important to you, after disabling file sync (as you have), you can use purge storage here: https://www.zotero.org/settings/storage?ref=usbf
    Again, though, there are very few scenarios where that'd actually make a difference, so maybe explain why you want to before going ahead with it.
  • Thank you! I need to remove them because standalone Zotero won't sync; I get an error message that I've run out of storage space, which I'm assuming is due to the PDFs as metadata is unlimited, right? Am I fundamentally misunderstanding something about how the server works? (That's entirely possible; on a good day I barely understand Zotero at all!)

Dan
  • The metadata sync is uncapped and independent of file syncing. Disable file syncing if you don't need it.